Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Honda and Yamaha missing the boat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understood what you were saying, just making sure you didn't over-look the fact that locker+hubs would be needed. When helping a friend install his locker kit, it wasn't too bad, but I can see where a lot of people would go to the dealer anyway. I agree that hubs that you could manualy lock/unlock would be the hot ticket.

Chris, did you ever get your new tires, or still waiting to buy?

Old 09-14-1999, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Adam, I would like to say I have my tires and I'm mudding away but I just made a much more expensive investment and am sad to say that the cash for new tires and rims no longer exists. I just bought a '99 Honda CBR600 F4. Yeller no less (had to match the quad :-) So now the quad has to stay stock as I'm busy outfitting the pocket rocket with saddlebags and a more comfortable seat for long trips. But if someone were to make the locker and hub combo I'd be there in a minute. Course I'm interested to see if the new Rubicon actually makes it to the show room floor. I might sell the bike and go for it ;-). Later.

------------------
Chris "Tat dain't no darn mudhole, tat's a wadder puddle" Pyle

ICQ me for a quick response!

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 09-14-1999).]

Old 09-14-1999, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Traxter design philosophy sounds pretty good in terms of 4WD with locking front end.

The Traxter steers easily on hardpack with full differential action; however, when one FRONT wheel starts to slip, the front end begins to lock up, continuing until the front axles are totally "spooled."

The Traxter's front end locking (and unlocking) action occurs automatically, without any rider input.

My pickup's Detroit Locker (and E-Z Locker) works much the same way, except it may lock more abruptly than the Traxter. Still, the pickup drives normally; you'd never know it had a locking differential unless you goosed it in a turn on pavement, then heard the tell-tale chirp of the spinning inner tire.

I guess the pickup has the best of all possible worlds: 2WD or 4WD; automatically locking differentials front and rear; manually-locking front hubs; high- and low-range gearing (through the transfer case). Can quads be far behind?

Tree Farmer

Old 09-15-1999, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe highlifter isn't the company you should be writing. How about ARB? They've made air lockers for 4X4 trucks, etc for years. Also, I don't know if they're available in the states, but ARB also offered a cable locker in place of the air locker. Locked or unlocked, all with a pull on the ole cable. I have this setup in my pickup.

------------------
Michael "Lordmik" Magee

Stranded on a tropical island, for now...

Old 09-27-1999, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

The Arctic Cat 300 is the answer to all questions with a slight mod. it can be a locked front diff./lim.slip/2x. It is supierior to the"not so King Quad". I wonder if it could be fitted in the AC 500 front end. d; )

[This message has been edited by RobAlford (edited 09-27-1999).]

Old 09-28-1999, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

How is it better? The KingQuad does the same thing with out mods.

Arctic Cat 500, The Bigger Cat