Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

SuperTrapp Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a SuperTrapp E.A.R exhaust repackable ? Would it ever need to be repacked? Have they changed in performance rating or anyhting else since like '95 ?? Is it worth to buy a used exhaust?? Do they offer different size head pipes for this exhaust, if so what sizes, and what is best for a 300ex ?? Sorry for all the questions, i am very much considering buying this "Used" Exhaust System. I need as much info as possible !!

THANKS

------------------
Exer_95....Jason....95' Honda 300ex

Old 10-06-1999, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the old, pre-IDS model of Supertrapp on my Warrior with a Curtis Sparks pipe. It is repackable & if noise is a problem in your area I suppose it should be re-packed.
Supertrapp doesn't build header pipes for Warriors, so I doubt they do for 300ex's either. According to their tech, the 4 strokes need the existing back pressure of the stock header to operate the valves properly.
I bought my pipe/silencer just before the current IDS (inside disc system) model came out & judging ONLY from appearances & ad copy, I am glad I have the old style, outside disc type..easier to re-tune among other reasons. The phone # for Supertrapp in case you want it is: (216)265-8400

THE AZ HARD PACKER,
calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 10-06-1999).]

Old 10-06-1999, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ok then...
So i guess it is the stock header pipe that comes with this Silencer !! Is this good or bad !! My friend has a 300ex, and his header pipe is larger then stock. I am unsure of where it came from. He just bought it a week ago, so he is unsure also !! I want the best set-up for my Quad. Do you think this is a good set-up ??

thanks

------------------

Old 10-06-1999, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I only know what the tech at Supertrapp told me..he did not recommend a larger diameter header since a certain amount of back pressure was necessary, unlike 2 strokes which of course have no valves. Possibly that's the reason there are so few people making header pipes for 4 strokes.
I guess I'd measure the i.d. of this pipe you're looking at & call Supertrapp & see what he thinks.
You might count the discs in the silencer while you're at it. The minimum should be 4 and the max should be 20. I run 20 for top end but it's quite loud.

THE AZ HARD PACKER,

calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

Old 10-07-1999, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

You say you have a Curtis Sparks Header Pipe. So the I.D. on your pipe is the same as stock?? Just out of curiousity, Is the O.D. the same. I was just thinking, maybe my friends is ust a larger O.D. and the I.D. remains the same. Its Possible. Does a larger Wall thickness give you any advantages in the exhaust ?? Why didn't you use the stock header Pipe ?? FMF MegaMax II comes with a header pipe. Do you think that is a stock size ??

Thanks...

------------------

Old 10-07-1999, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Get a White Brothers E-Series they are excellent exhaust for 4-Strokes.

Old 10-07-1999, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Warriors are a different animal than a 300EX. The information you got about the Warrior is correct -- but just for the Warrior!

The stock Warrior header is nice and large to start with -- no need to go bigger (even with performance modifications done to the engine).

The 300EX can definitely use an oversize headpipe. The stocker is a little on the small side.

The Supertrapp EAR is repackable, and uses a ceramic wool packing (same stuff as the two-strokes run). Repacking not only quiets the system down, it makes it run better, meaning a newly repacked muffler will give you a little better performance!

Unless you are in an area which requires the bike to be really quiet, you may want to look at the regular Supertrapp system for your EX. It'll give you better top-end than the EAR system. Unless you're getting a really smokin' deal on the used system.

The Supertrapp header and EAR will probably gain you about 5 - 6% horsepower over the stock system.

Pam

[This message has been edited by PamFalcioni (edited 10-07-1999).]

[This message has been edited by PamFalcioni (edited 10-07-1999).]

Old 10-07-1999, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

He is asking $75 dollars for EAR silencer and "stock" head pipe.. Sounds good, But the stock header is throwing me in a loop !!! i am unsure !!

I thought the EAR series was the quiter system offered by SuperTrapp ???

HELP !!!!!

------------------

Old 10-07-1999, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

exer95,
As I said originally Supertrapp dpesn,t build headers for Warriors, hence I still use the stock one.
To eliminate all this confusion, since the system you're contemplating is a Supertrapp, who not take my first suggestion & call Supertrapp. The tech there is very helpful & will set you straight on what you need to know... the horses mouth???

THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

------------------

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 10-07-1999).]

Old 10-16-1999, 07:37 AM
Range Rover

I have a friend with a 300EX. He runs his stock pipe at home to stay quiet. But he has
a Cobra with a bigger headpipe for other places. That bigger head pipe really wakes it
up.