Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400EX Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ricardo, Relax bud. Don't be so defensive about my exhaust. This forum is to share ideas and input on products other people are using. The fact is that I rode my EX stock for quite a while and I definitely notice a power increase all the way throught the powerband. No need to bust my back about "what a piece of crap I bought".

Old 01-25-2000, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Trailmix: You say that you have a E-series slip-on. Do you have a factory Headpipe & if so did the slip-on alone affect the performance? I was told that without a new pipe that a slip-on would be a waste of money.

Old 01-25-2000, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Gorby, I do have the factory headpipe. I don't recall noticing a big increase in power by installing the e-series slip-on, it seemed to improve the mid and top end power modestly. Another difference was the power just off idle- there was a noticable decrease in poser just off idle. I noticed this first when driving it up the fold-up ramp into my 4x4 truck. Before, I could just drive it right up in there without any drama. Now I have to feather the clutch and throttle. If I'm not careful it'll stall or, worse yet, pop a wheelie. Recently I picked up a couple slow jets (40 and 42) to see if that might help some.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a broken mounting bracket on the e-series silencer. I discovered this while installing a Wiseco 10:1 piston. I think I'll run the stock silencer until I get the White Bro's fixed, it will be interesting to compare how the two silencers respond to the higher compression piston.

I think if I were looking to buy again, I would give the LRD pipe serious consideration. For the money and performance it looks like a winner. If I were looking only for a silencer, I'd wouldn't get the White Bro's. Instead I would look at the smaller/lighter non-disc types like those from Pro-Circuit, FMF, Stroker, and Yoshi.

Old 01-28-2000, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

yamaman --- I didn't mean to jump all over you or any thing I just read the graphs that www.gthunder.com and go to thier test or technical section there you should see a pickture of a 400ex and it saying EXHAST SHOOTOUT. then go down to the big gun and check both dyno graphs. they said that the system was good for torque though. Again sorry about jumping all over you, I actually just wanted to get some people stirred up to start writing again.

Old 01-30-2000, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone tried the DG Pipe & Silencer Combo? Dirt Wheels likes them and I need to know if anyone else likes them? It beat out the Big Gun in a Time Trial of 0-30 & 30-50 mph.

Old 02-01-2000, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

Well guys.... No I haven't received my LRD system yet. They told me when I ordered they had just completed a new batch and were sending them out to the chroming shop. They told me it would take about 3 weeks and I'm in the 3rd week now... In the meantime, I'm boring the cylinder over 3mm to up the displacement to 425cc. Then I'm installing a 11:1 Wiseco piston. I would install a cam but my money is running low for now. I am however, refreshing the head with new valve guides and seals and springing for a 3 angle valve job. Perhaps when I'm done with that, the pipe will be here. I'm definately busy with the quad while I'm waiting! I'll post when something else happens....

Lightninn

Old 02-01-2000, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

Lightninn,

I wouldnt worry to much about your pipe getting in. I ordered mine from Sparks this summer and it took way over a month(something like 6 weeks). I think once they go to the chromer they just take their sweet time doing it! That is what Curtis told me that the chromer had them longer than expected. SO anyway hope you are happy with your new purchases. The 425CC big bore sounds kinda interesting let us know what you think and also how your bike stacks up against other modified 400EXs in your area.

Adam Smith
99 400EX

Old 02-01-2000, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

I got my new LRD pipe system installed. It Rocks! It is LOUD, but not as loud as a Supertrapp slip-on. I am running it right now with the air box lid on and no changes on the jets. IT is super snappy no dead spots. I love it. I have jets ordered for it from Honda recommended by LRD with their carb adjustments I have to run with no air box lid. I'll let you all know how that works. My friend who was not sold on my 400ex, now is with the LRD on it.

Old 02-01-2000, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

LRD SYSTEM, Write me on installation if you have any problems with yours. Some cables may need to be moved to avoid melting. My shocks bottomed out on a jump landing this weekend and I pet a dent in my silencer. It hit the brake caliper.

Old 02-01-2000, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, I want to get the LRD system but really need a spark arrestor. I've been trying to get a hold of LRD for the past week and have been unsuccessful, do they make one as an option for their exhaust? thanks