Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Airbox and snorkle design

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007 | 11:59 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Airbox and snorkle design

I installed a K&N Airfilter with the alloy bonnet, but it still has issues with splashes from the front tires at high speeds. I'm thinking about doing either an airbox, or a snorkle. The sport quad doesn't have an airbox as is, and the filter comes right off the back of the carb which is under the seat. The positioning makes doing a snorkle pretty hard.

The way I see it, I have two choices. One is to build a small airbox and run a snorkle off of it, with the filter inside the airbox. The other is to run a snorkle off the carb and up to the top side of the left-front fender and use the K&N filter to try to keep it dry. I feel like the 2nd choise is a bad idea. If I get stuck or sling water in reverse, it would be problematic.

I was considering running 1-3/4" ID hose to a custom front bumper/rack and putting a simple air box there to hold the filter and run a snorkle straight up from there. This would make it easy to get to the filter in case something goes wrong.

I guess I should make it clear that I'm not into complete submerging or anything, but I do like getting wet and muddy, and the air filter is too low right now to do that without getting it wet.

If anyone has anything that could help me, please let me know. I'm open to all suggestions.

-JNY