Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Throttle suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im finding that my thumb is wore the heck out after about 2-3 hours of riding. I currently ride a 2001 Banshee that is pretty much stock.

This past Saturday when we went riding my thumb, only after 2 hours of riding, hurt so bad I had to take breaks, was unable to get up on it for extended times, just overall pain.

I have been stretching it to relieve pain but after anohther 1/2 hour its back to the pain again and having to let off throttle.

1.Twist-has advantages and disadvantages, control.

2.Extender? Palm? wouldnt this reduce hand grip?

What are my choices here, im not really looking forward to a palm throttle or that much of a twist due to IMO control loss.

Hmmm, physical therapy for the thumb maybe? lol.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2001, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to have that problem after I got rid of the twist. It will take some riding time to build up the thumb. Or, you can go to the gym. but, more riding time is more fun.

Old 01-02-2001, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

take out the carb springs and slip them over a proper size wooden dowel rod and belt sand down the outside diameter to make the springs have less tension. do not cut the springs as this will make the spring stiffer. a spring is a torsion bar wound in a circle and if you make a torsion bar shorter it becomes stiffer. cutting the springs will make it pull easier at first but the farther you pull the slides the harder it will become.

Old 01-02-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

You could buy a Nibby and that might help. It just adjusts where the throttle is. Best solution: Buy a single carb, it's pricy but the low end is better and not near as stiff on the ole thumb.

Old 01-03-2001, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone, guess its just from lack of riding. The old blaster gave me thumb problems but we went riding every weekend back then and it was conditioned to it, since this was my first time really riding ina while guess my thumb (added with the cold) just wasnt up to it.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

just ride the ole girl-everyone thinks my throttle is to stiff but of course they own single carb bikes and not a shee. don't try any throttle modifications, you'll get used to it after a while.

Old 01-05-2001, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

We went riding today at Marshall creek from 9am to 430pm and I thought my thumb was going to fall off it was in so much pain, ugh.

Now im at work and tired as hell, who needs sleep?

Old 01-06-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

It's not a matter of riding (and getting used to it)...I rode almost every weekend from beginning september to november, each time, 4-6 hour rides...I have never been able to finish a ride bent to the ground holding my thumb (just exagerating a little )...worst of all, I couldn't even go full throttle!!!
I changed to twist throttle, it's much better, but is a bit harder on the arm rather than thumb. The question of control...yeah, I think you loose control when changing to twist...mayb I'm not completely used to it yet...but it's far from being as good as on a bike.
I still prefer it...the thumb was too painful!!!
Just my experience in the twist vs thumb battle.