Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

chroming sprocket hub or paint it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1999, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should i chrome my sprocket hub along with my axle carrier, axle, swingarm and skid or should i paint it the color my frame is gettin painted?? would the paint chip?

Old 12-06-1999, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

CHROME IT!!

Old 12-07-1999, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

All but the sproket hub and the skid, They are a B--- to keep clean.If your worryed about the paint? Anidize to match the frame.

Old 12-07-1999, 10:27 AM

I have had very poor durability results with painting these items, even with painstaking prep work and finishing with several coats of clear coat. A lot depends on the enviroment where you ride though.

------------------
Tom Bukowski

Old 12-07-1999, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I ride a Banshee... Last winter, I had the swing arm and bearing carrier powder coated..
If I rode in the sand all the time...it might have worked better...But in the trails, I have marked and dinged the paint pretty good. You have to remember that is you paint something a different color than it already is...when you do get a chip, You can see it very clearly...I found myself using nail polish to fix the scratches....

All together I got about a whole summer of riding out of the paint before it started looking bad. now it is ready to get painted again... I would not paint or Chrome the sprocket carrier... Too much room for scratches.

Good luck with the paint.

Old 12-07-1999, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

The spoket hub has little demples all over the surface, so scratched will not be noticable. If you chip it, then you can throw it away, because it is broke.

Old 12-08-1999, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Chipped paint is a good reason to throw something away?

I was talking about chipping the paint not the sprocket carrier.

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-1999, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

Chroming anything makes it brittle. Every 4wheel drive mag I've read has recommended NOT chroming suspension pieces 'cause they'll break(tie rods, panhard rods, u-bolts etc).

I chromed my shifter and broke it in two the first time I took my bike out after installing it.

I like chrome, I've got lots of it. Just make sure it's not a vital part or one that takes lots of stress.

[This message has been edited by fish_bulb (edited 12-20-1999).]

Old 12-20-1999, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I wasnt talking about chipping the paint. I ment that if you can chip the Chrome plating, then you probably tore the thing up. Platting does weaken the metal, but not to the extent that it should fail. I suspect the chroming was done rather carelessly or the part was ripe for breaking. I have yet to see something break because of chrome.

Old 12-20-1999, 12:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Theres an old hot rod adage, "Chrome dont get you home"..

Just wish Camaro lovers would remember that!!!

RoostKing

Quick Reply: chroming sprocket hub or paint it??