Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Using a splitfire or bosch platinum plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-1999, 06:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will using one of these plugs in a 1984 200 threewheeler increase performance.

Old 12-21-1999, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

YOU MIGHT NOTICE A VERY SLIGHT INCREASE IN POWER NUT VERY SLIGHT. I FOUND IT TO WORK BETTER IN A 2 STROKE WITH LESS FOULING OF THE PLUG AND EASIER STARTING.

Old 12-22-1999, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Split fire was forced to issue a decree that stated they lied to the public, and there plugs do not perform as advertised.

Old 12-22-1999, 05:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dont waste your money on the SplitFire, They are bunk.

RoostKing..

Old 12-30-1999, 06:47 AM
Trailblazer

I personally wont run nothing but NGK, They make an outstanding plug thats holds up well in 2 strokes.the only time i foul a plug is when im runnin it rich in cold weather.

------------------

Old 12-30-1999, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run nothing but NGK i run b8es in my quadzilla when the weather gets cold and i wanna ride i change the plug to a b9es.

Old 12-30-1999, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

As long as the plug ignites the fuel/air mixture, it's doing it's job. It's not possible to ignite the fuel/air differently to make more power. Once it ignites, that's it. On extreme performance machines, higher output ignitions or MSD types solve the problem of inconsistent ignition, but again, they're meant for full race engines, and won't benefit a stock or slightly modified motor. The idea that a spark plug can increase the power of an engine is, well, it ain't gonna happen. If it was such a big improvement, then ALL of the pro racers would be using this "wonder plug", but they don't.

Splitfire plugs are a marketing ploy to make people think it is possible to make more power with a different plug. Bosch platinum plugs will likely last longer, but they are a waste of money in my opinion. The old standard NGK ES plugs are as good as any of the other "high performance" plugs out there. Don't waste your money.

As an example, look at the most highly stressed engine you can think of - a top fuel dragster - and what plugs do they use??? The standard off the shelf type. But they fire the plugs with monster ignitions with LOTS of spark energy. So much for a "wonder plug".

Old 12-31-1999, 01:21 AM
r34
Pro Rider

Tell it like it is Sandman......Splitfires are crap. A plug simply conducts electricity.
The higher the voltage, along with the least amount of resistance getting there will provide the hottest flame kernal for detonation. It doesnt matter what kind of plug is in there. I do have a lot of faith in the M.S.D. ignition system, because it provides a Multiple Spark Discharge for a more complete burn. You must realize that at 2000 RPM a spark plug fires 33 1/3 times per second !!!! That is why it is critical that all ignition components from the coil, and or distributer as well as the plug wire(s) are in top condition for the engine to run efficiently.

Old 12-31-1999, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

It is kind of funny; the way Splitfire makes those wild claims on HP gains and mileage increases.

What I found even more humorous was the info-commercial for an oil additive, I forget the name, but they added it to the oil of an engine with around 200,000 miles on it. Then they drained all the oil out, drained out the coolant, removed the valve cover and sprayed the valve train with water while they revved the engine for a couple hours. Miraculously the engine never missed a beat. I about fell on the floor watching this, and I thought to myself who in thier right mind would buy this story? I'll bet someone did.

Old 12-31-1999, 09:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just as bad as Hot-Rod magazine actually claiming a 4% increase in overall power for the Split-fire plugs after installing them in some car. What a joke. Money talks.

RoostKing...

Quick Reply: Using a splitfire or bosch platinum plug