Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Using a splitfire or bosch platinum plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-1999, 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigman, you might first try making sure you have the correct plug to begin with. If so, do a cheap experiment using the same plug but with the next heat range (last #). This will allow the engine to burn hotter up to 100 degrees within the cylinder walls. The ceramic on the plug controls the wall temperature by absorbing heat. Not that this is the correct move, but an inexpensive one, none the less. Sometimes this makes a difference on how the fuel is burning...check your plug for leanness.

------------------
Steve Small,'00 400ex
'00 325 Trail Boss for the wife.
Impuls90 for the boys.
<a href="mailto:extreme400ex@home.com">EXtreme E-mail</a>

Old 12-31-1999, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Eric,
OH man,. I remember that commercial.. I gotta quit staying up late-nite...lolol..
As for Split-fire.. ya'll are right, if you have standard type of ignition (single spark per cycle) you're only gonna get one little bitty blue spark.. not the "firestorm" they showed on their commercials.. I run an MSD 6Al on my Chevy with a Blaster 2 coil and an MSD 6AL-2 with Blaster 2 coil on my Dodge.. Thats where you can get multiple sparks (and YES, they DO hurt when you just want to test your self ignorance!!!.. DON'T ASK!!)
I kinda wish MSD would expand their product line to include more than just a few select quads.. All machines could benefit from their products..
A couple of years ago, I got to see John Forces pit crew "tuning" his car between rounds at Texas Motorplex, They were passing out the used sparkplugs to bystanders.. I got one that had been DESTROYED by the Nitromethane... It was a shelf-stock Autolite plug!!!!... I freaked out.. come to find out, thats all they use, they just "index" the plug to position the ground at a specific place in the combustion chamber... Go Figure.... Plain old Autolites.. but we need super kryptonite filled titanium plated $6.99 each quadrouple electrode flame throwing, lightening-bolts for our Toyotas????...

Old 01-01-2000, 05:44 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mudmachine....what did you notice on the Chevy, after installing the MSD 6A and Blaster.?? Do you use the truck to pull a trailer? If so, how did the performance change??

Old 01-01-2000, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

R34,
When I installed the MSD, I was replacing the Accel Supercoil and Accel control module, so I wasn't coming from "stock".. Even coming from another high performance ignition, I noticed a signifigant power and fuel mileage increase.
My Chevy is used specifically for pulling quads, 99 Magnum 500, 97 Scrambler 500, 99 Honda XR-80, 98 Yamaha 350 Big Bear, and 1-2 small 3-wheelers.. all of this at one time along with the 5x12 trailer.. so as you can see, there is considerable weight on the truck.. (its a 72 Chevy long wheelbase, so its heavy too)
It starts easier when cold, runs smoother, and accelerates smoother... Along with these mods, I installed a Competition Cams Extreme Energy 4X4 camshaft, Hedman Heddders, 2 1/4" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, Holley Street Dominator Intake, Carburetor Shop built Quadrajet, an re-built the TH-350 myself with a few mods, RV shift kit, and B&M Heavy Duty converter.. I installed 3:56 rear end gears.. oh, and a K&N Filter and I run Mobil 1 Synthetic oil..

Like I say, I set it up JUST for pulling...
Don't waste your money on the MSD Box for "off-road" the only difference is the rubber washers under the box... just buy the 6AL and buy some rubber washers from a hardware store....llolololol.....

Old 01-02-2000, 12:22 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mudmachine... Thanks....