Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

other exhaust options for 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have any imformation on the following exhaust companies?
YOSHIMURA
DMC/PAUL TURNER
CURTIS SPARKS
PRO CIURCUT
NOLEEN
STROKER SXi
or any other company that produces an exhaust, other than WHITE BROS, DG, FMF, LRD, CT, BIG GUN, ETC, ETC, ETC.
want to find out all my options before I buy a pipe. I like the weight savings of the Yoshi, but dislike the price. many racers that were at the Charlotte ATV expo and race and as well as the fine folks at Eastcoast ATV loved the Sparks system saying it was the best they ever used. pro ciurcut has the history of making a ggod product. just would like to know thanks

Old 01-24-2000, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Someone on this site reported that he was going to have a port $polish job on his 400ex, but found out that the stock setup is overly free flowing for the stock carb. That tells me that the factory headpipe should put out all you need. Thus a slip-on exaust should do the trick. My recommendation would be to purchase the one that you think both looks best and sounds best. I ordered an LRD complete system. It came in today, but it will be this weekend before I install it. If I had it to do all over again, I believe I would purchase a Pro Circuit slip-on. It looks good and sounds great. I drag raced a guy with one at Little Sahara with my stock setup and he smoked me pretty good. Don't know the price though! It would have to be at least a hundred dollars cheaper than any complete system.

Old 01-25-2000, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

I really don't want to do anything internal to the motor unless I have to. So a port and polish or a new pistion would be out of the question for now(don't get me wrong, I wouldlike a new pistion, cam and stonger clutch). As far as looks and sounds go, I really don't care. I just want the pipe(complete or slip on)to provide a good all around power curve at all rpms. also it has to be durable. I have read stories how pipes are being bent, parts breaking, and other nightmares. if I spend between $200 and $700 for an exhaust it must be durable and be able to take an abuse for a long time. I don't know about anyone else but, I don't the luxury to go out and buy a new pipe every year or two. so when I buy a pipe, I am taking into consideration any and all possible mods that can be done to my 400ex, and how the pipe could affect the whole picture. Ideally I want to make my quad realiablly unbeatable. with stronger disc brakes, steel braided lines, etc..... onwldcat, good luck with your selection and let me know how it preforms for you after riding it for a month or so.
ronhonda

p.s. I have a '99 400ex(new bars, skids, filter, a ONE graphics and seat cover, and some small B.S. things)'87250x(bars, filter, skids+bumpers by PRM, megamax2, and the heaviest nerfs this side of the Appalachains)

Old 01-25-2000, 09:50 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ronhonda... off-road.com has a product review on the Big Gun Exhaust for the 400Ex. Why don't you go there and see what you think.

Old 01-25-2000, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

The 400EX is kinda different from most other four strokes. One, it's stock exhaust actually works pretty well. Two, it responds exceptionally well to an open exhaust system.

What we found when we tested a bunch of different systems is that anything which is quiet enough to ride in the trails (Supertrapp, White Bros, Pro Circuit, Etc, Etc) came in all about the same -- 8% over stock HP. In fact, you can make the stock system give you about the same gains by drilling the hole in the snuffer larger!

If you are only using the 400 for closed-course racing, you will DEFINITELY see a better increase with one of the racing exhaust systems like Curtis Sparks or Powroll. Slightly larger diameter headpipes which flow quickly into a single header, then into a racing megaphone can give you up to 15% increase over the stock system. Warning -- this is MASSIVELY loud!! Over 110 Db. Yikes!

Hope this helps ya out!
Pam

Old 01-26-2000, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

maddogtrx, I think the Pro Circuit sounds great. Is has a nice deep growl. The man who had it was definitely an experienced rider. He was probably in his late 40's. He said he had just returned from Glamis! He was decked out in motorcross gear. This was no novice. He also ownes a banshee. He said he first had a WB e-series slip-on and that the mounting bracket kept breaking. Not the first time I've heard that. He got sick of its non-durability and bot the Pro Circuit. He really likes it.

Old 01-26-2000, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

Most the Yoshimura's I checked on were back ordered. My mechanic says you will not be able to tell the difference between a yoshi headpipe and your stock. I would recommend the aluminum slip-on myself for about $235 vs. a total titanium for $650+. All of yoshi's pipes have the same performance specs. They only differ in metals. I don't believe that $400 or better is a good investment to lighten the pipe. I assure you that a titanium slip-on will not be noticably lighter than an aluminum slip-on. That is, I dougbt its lighter at all. Titanium just cost more. The only way I would consider a titanium pipe would be a complete system which of course would be much lighter than a still headpipe, but I don't believe in throwing money away!

Old 01-26-2000, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

pam,

I recall either reading or hearing your name somewhere, but I don't remember where from.
can you refresh my memory?

Old 01-26-2000, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

pam,

I recall either reading or hearing your name somewhere, but I don't remember where from. It does deal with the ATV industry if I remember right.
can you refresh my memory?

Old 01-26-2000, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pam,
Drill a hole where? If my 400EX is not used for racing and I can get similar gains in performance from drilling a hole than from buying a pipe, Show me the way!

Quick Reply: other exhaust options for 400ex