Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Painted Plastics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Plastics?

I got a used ATV & The guy painted flames on it, And then he clear coated the whole thing.

The flames look crappy & The clear is coming off in some spots.

What should i use to get it all off? Will it look dull?

Thanks...

Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well chances are that he prepped the plastic before adding the primer.... in which case it might have been sanded to be less smooth so yeah it might look really dull and nasty under there......

But you can strip it and repaint it..... Krylon Fusion plastic paint is excellent.... I've used it several times myself and it looks as good and sticks as well as if you had it baked on professionally....... but you have to paint slow with it... meaning MANY light coats and not one or two heavy coats.....

Or go on Ebay and look for some decent used plastics..... you'd be surprised how many good deals are on there for used plastics....

Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i can see in some spots where the clear is off & it looks good there. The plasics are in really good shape otherwise.

I think i will try paint thinner 1st & then clean them up? What do you think?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

If paint thinner doesn't work, use plastic bumper stripper from an autobody supplier.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know if it would hurt the plastic but I am sure brake cleaner and methanol would take it off.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

I should have asked, ss97 is there a special fushion paint for plastics. I read on this forum some time back to use Krylon Fushion after preping the plastics and would look as good as new. I tried with the Fushion and thought that I did it like it said but mine didnt turn out very well. If there is a special Fushion can you let me know. Sorry for changing the subject a little to the poster.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hotblooded

I should have asked, ss97 is there a special fushion paint for plastics. I read on this forum some time back to use Krylon Fushion after preping the plastics and would look as good as new. I tried with the Fushion and thought that I did it like it said but mine didnt turn out very well. If there is a special Fushion can you let me know. Sorry for changing the subject a little to the poster.</end quote></div>

There was only one Krylon Fusion Plastic paint as far as I knew......

I notice after working with the Fusion several times now that the results are not always perfect...... and it won't look exactly like new plastic, it will look like paint no matter what you do...

But if you do some small prep work like sanding or light scuffing to the plastics, and do multiple light coats you can get it to look pretty good..... I've done some that look almost as good as if they were painted in a professional auto booth with high quality paints.

Of course it won't look as perfect as that, but that also costs about 100-times more then a can of spray......

The main thing about Fusion is that it will stick to plastic without the use of primer and baking. That is the revolutionary part of it being in a can and only costing a few bucks.... and with some smooth work it can look darn good for a cheap fix...

Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

i see tons of plastics for cheap on ebay

Old 09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can make it look nice for a museum..... Name:  aDCP_1697.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  105.6 KB But no paint sticks to plastic! Smack it once with a stick and all that hard work is gone! Fusion paint is no better than a can of dollar general paint in my opinion.