Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

CR or KX motor in 250R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 09:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AlaskaTRX where did u get your info and how much of the vibration would that keep down?Also how hard would it be to have a counter balancer machined into the crankshaft?

Old 12-09-1999, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

Where did you read that? I am very interested in swapping in a newer 250 motor in to my quad. The thought of having a power valve and 42 hp stock is quite appealing to me.

Old 12-13-1999, 03:05 AM
Range Rover

As far as the Kawasaki is concerned, it's not a Kawi, its a Lobo Chassis, Axis Shocks, motor built by one-lap Dunlop. The only thing Kawasaki about it is the engine and plastic which they made for it. The rest anybody can make, just get a motor and buy a Leager's, Lonestar, or Lobo chassis made for it.

If they ever produce it, that remains to be seen, they even say its just to test the feasability of it. But at LEAST THEY are sponsoring a team, maybe more manufactures ought to follow their lead.

Sickman

Old 12-23-1999, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Sickman, the motor for the KXF-01 was built by Curtis Sparks not one-lap Dunlop. He was building the Mojave and Parire engine but he is no longer doing that either. He building motors now for some race team the use Yamaha YZ400F motors.

Old 12-24-1999, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

I just read this post and wanted to clear up a few of the comments that have been made about Bill's prototype bike. First off, the bike does use a Roll Design frame but they are custom one off frames that have several differences between what Roll normally produces. A large portion of the other components on the bike are Kawi(brakes, electrical, perches, radiator, etc). The motors are done by Curtis Spark and Dunlop has nothing to do with Bill's bikes. Plastic is usually either Mojave or Maier. The engine is NOT counterbalanced and vibration is a large problem with this bike at this time. Currently working on a harmonic balancer to put on the end of the crankshaft where the stator is located. This should help a lot. Currently there are three of these bikes in existance, Kawi has one in CA for development, Bill just shipped one back two weeks ago to be turned into a show bike and one is sitting in Bill's shop beside his house. Two new bikes are currently being built for the 2000 race season and will be shipped out to Kentucky around the first of Feb. Currently there is no plan to mass produce these bikes in the near future. There are still a few bugs to be worked out, especially in the transmisson gearing. Overall the bikes will fly but you better hold on to your fillings or it will shake them out. I base this info on the fact that I am close friends with Bill, live about 15 miles from him, trail ride with him almost every weekend and have ridden these bikes several times and raced them a couple of times in local races.