Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

bike/atv technicians please look

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes Lakota is having some issues with first gear engagment. In the winter I don't ride the T4 much in snow due to traction loss. Anyway, the easiest way to get it in first is to put it in reverse and then go to first. And when going from neutral to first you actually got to reach down and pull up on the shifter to get it to engage. Once in gear everthing is fine and even shifting from 1st-5th is okay (maybee a slight bit notchier than normal). I have adjusted the cluctch a few times and that don't help. I have the Service manual that Kawasaki used for service techs but it has no trouble shooting section like an automotive service manual has. I have worked as an auto tech and I'm in the engineering industry but these are a bit different. In a Manual automotive trans I would say the syncronisers are the prob but the Lakota is not the same set-up. I will do more reaserch in my manual but I thought it would be easier to check here first, then tear the Lakota apart. It would probably be okay yet if I didn't ride it because I am hard on machines. I have owned many quads and never had a trans prob and a couple were even the same auto clutch manual shift as the Lakota (they were a 1983 185S and a 1985 250SX). Any input is appreciated.

Old 02-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Loossen top nut and turn clockwise a couple of turns turn counter when you feel it harden stop if shifter is floopy turn a little more lock it down. If this doesnt help then have you adjusted the lower nut? if so go get a clutch gasket and oil change take off cover and look at the manual and realign.while your there look at the shift drum inspect the points if there is a lip or rough spot here is your problem . Just the points this is why it can hang up. make shure your return spring feels ok.this is assuming you have the correct idle setting tbefore you start this project. good luck from a dealer mike. I seen your other post in hawa section.

Old 02-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The upper clutch engagement screw alone should take care of adjustment; all the lower screw does is more-or-less center a channel; a one-time operation--the lower screw shouldn't get out of adjustment, unless it has been inadvertently moved (the set point for the lower screw is halfway betweeen resistance points).

If adjustment doesn't solve the problem, you'll get to see what the insides look like. Although improbably, you could have one or more warped metal disks in the secondary clutch (you CAN replace fiber & metal disks & springs WITHOUT removing shaft nut); or (and I hope not) bent or otherwise defective shifting forks. Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 02-06-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

The lakota only has one nut for adjusting the clutch on the right side of the engine. It ois the only one I found in the manual for adjusting the clutch. The Procedure is to loosen the nut and turn the set screw cw till hard and then turn ccw till hard and then tighten the nut. I have don't this a couple times with no difference. I also changed the oil. I ordered a Barnett clutch kit and when I pull the cover off this weekend I will know more. My local cylce shop said he didn't think it is a shift for because once I am in gear every thing is fine. If this was a manual autoimotive trans I would say that the problem is the syncros but, this don't have them. Thanks for the help. I will repost after working on the machine this weekend.

Old 02-06-2001, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Mabe try diffrent oil?? Worth a try... I know the type of oil in my blaster makes a diffrence if you run the wrong kind it will be all weird, no way to explain it besides weird acting...

Old 02-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Before ya take it apart maybe try to run a different brand of oil/lubricant in some Ford/Gm rear wheel drive rears if ya dont use the proper lubricant/moly ya can have bad chatter.if that doesnt help ya might have to look at the clutch,springs dogs and pawls might not be adjusted right or could be worn out,ya need a manual for that.Is your wife or you letting off the gas when ya shift or did ya just shift w it on.If ya did ya might a broken wore something out prematurely.Well hope this helps