Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

JunkYard Mutant

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JunkYard Mutant

This is my ride.... built from junk. I was given a 89 Suzuki GS500E, and bought a late 87 Suzuki LT250R rolling frame..... after lots of cutting and welding I have a nice toy to play with.... the motor is close to 60 hp and will twist to 11,000 rpm, with 6 gears ( to date, I have never gotten to 6th, barely made 5th....) I have maybe $500 invested in this Mutant.... the plastic is off of a Kaw KFX, another freebie ( thanks to novice riders that crashed it more than once..... It's not the fastest thing, but it's no slouch by any means......and it needs tires.... it never ends....

Attached Thumbnails JunkYard Mutant-imag0011.jpg   JunkYard Mutant-imag0012.jpg   JunkYard Mutant-imag0013.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Looks great man!...nice to see someone so resourceful.. It looks really big in the pics....thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 1mojave03
Looks great man!...nice to see someone so resourceful.. It looks really big in the pics....thanks
My boss has a 05 banshee with 10 grand invested... his axle to axle ia 60" mine is 59 1/4", which came from my thoughts of me riding or having it ride me.....weight balance is important no matter if it's 4x4 or an ATV..... probably why it took two years to feel safe in my engineering skills..... I seriously doubt I have it all figured out, but I am close..... not to mention this is with a stock length swingarm..... the whole point was to keep cost down, and since there is no real tractsion control devices known to me.... most of this is "outta of left field thinking" even though I build hot rods for a living.....building an atv is totally new for me....
I wanted to build something that would drift like a dirt car.... and yet be controllable .... is this my finial design,,, not likely, its all about trial and error....... to fit my riding abilities.....it's a matter of being a gearhead, and the simple fact as such nothing is ever close to perfect.... nor can perfection ever be reached....everything in life is a compromise, which includes machines..... My whole reason behind this post was to show that atv cost was total BS.... if there is a will, there is a way.... not to mention that the cost of 4X4 trucks and suvs is not a road block to those willing to use other means to get out on the dirt and sand and have some real fun.... the last real frontier IMHO..... it's the fun factor, not cost factor which counts in my view......

P.S. forgive the primer. on the gas tank, I am fixing dents in hopes of having a plastic wrap made to match the fenders..... the bottom line is, if I have less than a $1000 when I am finished, I truly win in any views.... , especially in the fun factor