Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, power is what I want. Be it coolheads (20cc domes), big bore kits, Stage kits, reeds/cages, porting and such.

Im to the point of saying "**** it, I want some major power!". I have around $500-$600 tops to spend, thats as far as I can go. Now what would be my best option for gaining HP with the money available?, porting? bore kit?

Vitos has a 404cc bore kit for around $469. I can get port work done by MP for about $400. What are my other options?
Or I could go the route with coolhead (20cc) w/ reeds/cage. Im just basically looking for the most power gain I can get with my money.

Thanks for putting up with me and all my questions

Old 02-27-2001, 07:36 AM
Range Rover

Jiga:
I once was in the same boat as you.... until I learned alot more about how a 2stroke runs... While I love my 370lr I am sure I will love my new 350cc motor I am building as a spare, even more. The big bore motors rev slower since they have larger pistons, but that helps w/ more torque.
The big bore kit from vitos at that price in not installed.... your looking at another 400-600 installed. I am having MP racing build my spare motor for me now... its going to be a stock bore and stroke motor w/ roughly 87hp on alky when its done. It was a hard decision between him and Rick(MacDizzy) but I would still send a motor to Rick. Your best bang for the $ is porting. save your $ and have your stock head recut, get it ported, and a set of Delta V-force reed cages.
If you havent already check out the MP engine rebuild on my site. I hope to be updateing that very soon w/ alot more pics and info.

walter

Old 02-27-2001, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

With the info you gave me and other topics that I did a search on it looks like I will just go the route with the port job, get a the v-force reeds and cage and coolhead (maybe) and get the heads shaved.

Old 02-28-2001, 06:49 AM
Pro Rider

Nice Pics, But it looks like you need to put a set of aftermarket bars on they make a big difference... If you just want to try a new bend try the YZ250 (Might be CR, but am pretty sure its the YZ) stock bars, Run you about $30 US bolt right up,and sit 1 inch lower than stock..Before you do any port work, bore your bike to about a .030 overbore, Thats a nice size to start at as any boring you do AFTER portwork will change the porting slightly. I would also ignore your need for power urge and go with handling mods, The stock banshee makes good power, a piped one makes excellent power, the only problem is getting it to work for you, Try a shorter swingarm with some different gears, This will help you hookup better and make you feel like you are going faster! A aftermarket clutch is also a great idea, try barnet with all 6 clutch springs, you will need the EZPull system to be able to use it, but your clutch will just about never slip. Depending upon what kind of power you want to create, Carbs are another place to look, For bottom end go with some flatslide type carbs, or a single carb setup, For all out top end speed go with some oversize (your choice as to how big) ones. Reeds will not do a whole lot, but a Delta V--Force II cage+reeds will help out greatly.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

If you only can spend so much i would suggest you go for the porting and get them done how you want them now and just get the head shaved then if you still want to get a cool head get it then. that is what i would do but that is how i always am i would rather spend the money on somthing that I realy want and not get some other stuff that i can later that way i will not want better later and in the long run be spending lots more than if i got to start with.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Porting and boring is great. And it would fall into the price range that you are talking about. The only problem is like what was mentioned in one of the other posts, as long as you can do the tear down and build up yourself that's fine. But if not then you get to pay for that also which will run several hundred dollars alone. If you decide to go this route though I know a good mechanic that works reasonable. He's done quite a few banshees. He did my friends recently converted to a MX banshee, and it runs like a top. He does the tear down and build up but not the actual work. Try the reeds and shaving the head. Reeds run $220 most places now for V-Force, head work about $20-40, and a head gasket. The manifold has to be slightly modified for the V-Force reeds but it's easy. Then it's hold on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2001, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

Watch getting more power via a big bore kit only. You rrally need to do a true and weld to the crank while having the motor apart. The banshee crank is not that strong. It will twist and break under enough power. I have seen people send out their cylinders to get bumped up to 400 or more and porting. They slap them on and about a month later twist a crank. Think long and hard about it. Besides, that money could be better spent on the banshee's handling instead of making a allready fast bike faster. Since I you are only trailriding you would never use that power. The way to go fast is thru suspension and chassis.

Old 03-05-2001, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I finally got my mind made up. Im to **** wishy washy.

Im sending my engine off to MP Racing to get it ported/polished, flywheel lightened, crank welded, pistons checked and timing advanced. Im buying a 20cc coolhead to go along with it.

This is kinda perfect, I went ahead and told my wife about it and not to get me anything for my B-day, which is in March 16th, she asked why? I told her what I was doing with my motor so in a way this is my present to myself