Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

370 long rod banshee

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the advantage of putting the longer rod in??
putting the longer rod it ups the displacmetn 30cc or is that from boring it ?? what kind of pistons do i have to use and with those pistons do i have to run special domes in my coolhead ??

i am getting ohton racing to do it. does he do good work ??? all i herd was good stuff about him

thanx for the info

Old 03-01-2001, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

A longer rod will not give you more CC's (it will give you more crank case volume.) The longer rod will not give you a longer stroke all it would do is make so the piston is farther away from the crank. To get more CC's you need to give it a longer stroke or bore. Do you understand what a rod is? If not I can get a picture to show you What it is and does.

Old 03-01-2001, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

i know what it is. this is the 2nd time im rebuilding it.
so it gets 30cc by boring it ???
that dont make sense because boring .20 barely ups the displacement right ??

Old 03-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

PA***man,
Could you explain the longer stroke and Long rod to me? thanks

Old 03-02-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

In the 370 long rod motor I believe they put longer rods, modify the crank, and put different pistons in. The longer rods place the piston higher up in the cylinder, changing your port timeing. The only way to modify the length of your stroke is to modify the crank, I am not sure if they do that, but they should true and weld it (crank). The pistons are from a blaster (66mm instead of 64mm) and are slightly modified to work correctly. Not sure about the domes in the coolhead. .020" overbore on a banshee equals about a 7cc (?) increase in displacement. If you did actually change the stroke you would change the displacement. They also do some port work to make everything run properly. Basically when all is done the bike is supposed to feel more torquey and have a smoother powerband, with a fairly good increase in HP.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

A longrod is just that, a longer rod. The crank doesn't change, but the piston does. The top of the piston actually travels the same distance in the bore and i am TDC and BDC stay the same. What the long rod does is changes the rod angle in relation to the piston and the crank, The angle becomes less, which results in a larger force applied to the crank from combustion. The pistons are either blaster pistons, or trinity makes a long rod piston based on the blaster piston. To get the 370, they are either just boring it out some, or resleeving.

Old 03-02-2001, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

would i be better going with the 370 long rod or paying a little more for a 400 big bore ??

it is like 500 for the long rod includes everything uneed with new bearings and welding.
i bought porting off him alredy.
what would give me the most power in mid and top end?

Old 03-03-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

There is a lot more to a engine than boosting displacement. As for is a 400 better than a 370 most depends how it is built and by who it was done by. A 370 would rev a little quicker because it has a lighter piston than a 400. You might want to look at a RZ topend to put on your banshee. Just a little food for thought before you get your cylinder "Built". If there are any more questions i will try to answer them the best i can.

Old 03-03-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

sorry 2 posts

Old 03-03-2001, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

did u ever see a 370 run ???
if so do u know who it was uilt by and how it runs ??
if i get the 370 would i be able to put big bore sleeves in it like 2 years from now with the long rods still in it ???

Quick Reply: 370 long rod banshee