Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Trying to settle dispute...jetting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I correct when I say the following: You have a stock Blaster-oil injection, 230 main, 32.5 pilot, needle 3rd. Ok, now you remove 20:1 oil-injection and switch to 32:1 pre-mix. Is it right to say your machine will now run richer due to less oil and more gas?

My friend insists that we follow the jetting guides for a certain pipe and filter setup, but with his oil-injection removed, I think that we don't need to go as fat as the guide says because it's already getting a richer mix than it was before. Somebody please shed some light on this!!
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2001, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

You are right that with less oil and more gas it will RICHEN up the jetting....some, but I would still start out way right, maybe fould a couple of plugs and THEN start to lean it out until you get it absolutely perfect. Why are you removing the oil injection anyway? If you aren't racing, it sure makes things alot simpler on just a trail machine. Plus you can buy your oil in large quantities.

Old 05-02-2001, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

Well, here's the story. There are 6 of us who ride together. All 6 of us have Blasters. One day when we were riding one them crapped out. We tore it down and the engine was toast. We were tipped off by a local bike mechanic to check the oil-injection system. All of the hoses were connected, oil in container, and no oil-light, but....when we took the case cover off that nice stainless little oil-pump had a broken PLASTIC drive gear! So 6 oil-injection block-off plates were instantly manufactured at our shop to prevent that from happening to any of the rest of us. Plus they offer weight reduction, less wires and hoses, cleans up the under fender area nicely, and gives me a piece of mind! That's pretty much why we did it. Now this is the seventh Blaster of the bunch and we're just following tradition.

Old 05-02-2001, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Old 05-02-2001, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

A "Yamaha Bas-tard", is that one of the new quads?

Old 05-03-2001, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

Yep! I even got my decals redone just like stock but only they say Bas-tard, just because I have had to call it that several times while working on it!After that it just stuck!