Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Chassis help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a nicely modified '99 400 Sport and I'm interested in the possibility of going to a different chassis, for obvious reasons. Given that my current motor set up is currently producing 72HP (off the crank) and I'm getting 60 of those 'lil ponies to the rear wheels I'd like to continue using it.

Here are my options as I see them:

HPD, the most reputable Polaris engine builder, has an AM chassis available in limited production. Cost for the rolling chassis, which is based on 250R geometry: 10-12K (NO MOTOR!!)

Here's a link to pics of this nice machine: http://www.fatalberts.com/Race chassis quad.htm

Draw backs to this option: it is designed primarily for MX, oh yea, and cost!!!

Other options are a stretched 250R or Banshee drag style chassis and some custom fabrication. However I haven't the slightest idea where to start pricing these units.

Any links or helpfull information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2001, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

For the cost of that chassis, you could buy all the tools and materials needed and build one yourself.

Old 10-26-2001, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

There is a shop near me that builds sand drag chassi (I guess that's the plural). I can get his number if you like.

What is still heavy about your machine? Can you shave any significant amount more off it? Those struts look pretty heavy. Maybe replace the gear box with just a jack shaft and a second chain.

I always thought something like this would be a worthwhile project vs. "How can I put a 27HP 500lb '72 CB750 motor in my Blaster". I would think a Banshee frame, 250R or 400EX would work well. A Banshee frame will be the cheapest to get an entire machine with a bad motor, I think. 400EXs are too new, 250Rs get rebuilt and Banshees get replaced with a new one.

I know you are attached to your motor. I know what it is like to have evolved a motor through mods and worked out any bugs it might have. However, you have really nice machine with everything working. The only thing you need out of it is the motor. If you have to set up motor mounts and such, you might as well use something that gives you even more power. There was an LT500 with a 583 rotary valve Rotax (just like what is in my Drakart) in it at Silver Lake the time I was there. I just picked up a wrecked sled with the same motor as a spare for $500.

Old 11-04-2001, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

Actualy I just lightened the frame to 55lbs and had it powdercoated. The struts, weighing around 14lbs each, are the biggest issue to deal with on these 400's. I've removed every non-essential nut/bolt/bracket/part...IE battery/starter/oil injector/oil reservior/shaved 2.5lbs off the flywheel/chromolly swingarm -8lbs there/electric fan/airbox/ect. ect. I even removed the reverse gear out of the tranny (2lbs of rotating mass) and took off my front brakes (another 12lbs!).

I was just hoping I could find a lighter, better handeling chassis to use. I think I may be better off trying to locate a OE Banshee frame in good shape. I wish I had the access to used sleds you guys have up there, I'd love to get a 600+cc nice twin for a project.

Old 11-04-2001, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

My brother has a J-arm frame. The extra frame member for the A-arms can be welded in. ATV Racing sells a kit for it, although I am not their biggest fan.

Search www.cycletrader.com for a sled. If you were building an offroad superlite (single seat buggy, Pilot type), you could might be able to get it delivered through the POOA, Pilot and Odyssey Owner's Association. I bought a parts machine from the east coast and it was delivered to me for free. It was transferred through three different people. Two of whom, I have never met.

Personal Watercraft motors can be used too, but you don't get clutches. Certain other parts are different as well like the exhaust manifold. I will be looking at buying out the PWC motor inventory of a marine service. Hopefully there is some good stuff in there. I already picked up a complete 750 Kawisaki that needs to be rebuilt for $300.