Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Helix help????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this topic has come up countless times before because I have searched a lot of the old threads, but I could not find the information I was looking for. So if someone could please give me a little information I would greatly appreciate it!!!
I think I have a pretty good understanding as to how the different primary and secondary springs affect cluth action, but what I really don't know is

1. How does a steeper helix affect performance as opposed to a less steep helix?

2. In a compound helix what are the two numbers representative of and how do they affect performance?

3. I do a lot of riding at high altitudes ( 6000 - 9000 ft ) and I see some manufacturers make helixes for high altitudes. What do these helixes do to enhance high altitude performance as opposed to some of the other steeper hellixes?

Thank You all for your help!!
Doug

Old 11-21-2001, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Helixes be helixes...I'd reccomend going to Snowest.com forums and talking to some of the nutty snowmobile guys about that. There are guys over there have years and years tinkering with sled clutching...

Old 11-22-2001, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

Pryormountainman
Your helix is what brings you from low gear to high gear,(so to say)
So a lower pitch will get you there gradualy, and a steep pitch will drop you in high gear faster.(normally for higher hp motors).
A multipal pitch is just that, cut on one angle for half the taper and another angle for the second half, this is so if you wanted to stay in a lower gear for a certain amount of time then drop into high gear fast after that.The steeper the pitch the faster you get into high gear.
But you also have springs of various tensions that can affect the whole shifting proceedure.
I hope this wasn't confusing and helped you understand it a little better.
Zman

Old 11-22-2001, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys!!