Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

For those of U that polished your sidecases!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002 | 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

ugly, this is what you do... call up your friends and have them come over next weekend to polish everything like they did this weekend. This will solve your polishing dilema and you can sit back and let them make your side casings,wheels,top end,and anything else look like a mirror.

Old 02-20-2002 | 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I do have try some and think thant the Eagle One is the best...
feed back me... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2002 | 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Anybody try "Blue Magic". That stuff is great. It instantly makes a dull wheel look like a mirror. Any opinions?

Old 02-23-2002 | 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

I just polished the Stator cover on my Mojave. It came out great. I first used ZAR paint stripper, then a very fine steel wool. I then took mothers mag polish and used a buffing wheel attached to my drill. After 2 times it came out great! If I keep polishing it I'm sure it will look even better.

Old 03-04-2002 | 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Ok..
I have been trying to stay updated with this topic. I am getting ready to start cleaning up the quad for the spring riding season.. I have my clutch side case off.. i am going to polish it.. I am pretty sure of the procedure.. I have a couple other questions regarding polishing and other finishes.. What can I do as a finish for the engine case itself.. The middle part.. Can that polish up to a close to mirror finish or is that better to be painted !! What can I do with the Engine head.. Can I polish the fins, Can I paint them ?? Any reccomendations on that !!
Any other comments would be great... I am looking forward to starting this.. I can't wait to see what my finsih product will look like !!!

Thanks
Jason

Old 03-06-2002 | 08:08 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well guys like sickened17 said.I just had a couple of my freinds over and they did most of it.(easier that way)LOL.Anyway I went to sears hardware and they had 3 buffing wheels and 3 different buffing compounds for 10 bucks.I bought that and that really helped.Both cases like like mirrors.I am just waiting on my tax retunr to buy my new center cases to polish them.

Alright I got them looking like mirrors.How do I protect them?I mean If I rub a shop cloth on them they scratch.So there not going to like rocks or roost(from potential lappers)So I need to have them like clearcoated or something right.Will that work?

I am sorry if my this post doesn't make much sense.I have had the flu and then I got strep throat.This is the first time I have been oput of bed for about 5 days.

86 trx250r getting rebuilt
97 300ex the sleeper

Old 03-06-2002 | 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

ok maybe i was dumb kid and class at the back hideing under the desk shakeing in fear whenever the teacher was looking around for someone to answer well..anything lol but can someone give me some details on polishing like how long does sanding take on a cover and say topend looks like ALOT of work and must it be sanded what about bead blasting or some kinda paint stripper number 2 how do u polish so far from what i hear all u do is rub max into what your doing with a buffing wheel? could someone help me out in as much detail as you can id really love to do this to my r thanks

Old 03-06-2002 | 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

If you are not commited to doing it then don't even bother to start. I suggest polishing everything seperately for a good finish. This means that you have to take apart the entire engine. To polish my stator cover I just took off the cover, soaked it in ZAR paint stripper and then with a fine grade steel wool I removed the rest of the paint on it. This was a dull silver after all of this. I Applied Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish with a rag and then rubbed it off. This brought it to a decent shine. Then I went to the Hardware store and bought a buffing wheel for my drill. Again, I used Mothers polish and buffed it with the wheel this time. Do that a couple times and it should look like a mirror. I am still thinking of a way to pretect this, maybe someone else could help us out on that one. . . .

Old 03-07-2002 | 12:33 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well so far in just the sidecases I would honestly say we have abou 10 hours!This does include so goofing around.But 2 or 3 saturday nights and then my freind took them to school.THen I bought the wheel that night I spent around 2 hours in the garage,plus the initial sanding down which I did before I went to bed in my room for about an hour an night for 3 days.So yes polishing is a pretty time consuming process.Yes We could have did this in a shorter amount of time.Like if I would have found the stuff at sears sooner.My cases where in better shape,etc,etc.

As far as the cylinder I have seen it done.I have saw some that look like mirrors.I am not going to do mine.Eventually I plan On getting a pro-x cylinder.So why waste my time.My freind grabbed it one night and worked on it for about 15 minutes and U could barely notice anything.The cylinder is really really rough.IT would take a while but I am not sure how long.

As far as the 300ex engine goes.I would polish the sidecasings.Maybe the centers also if U wanted to.As far as the cylinder and head go.FST built a 330 in dirtwheels.They had the inner part of the fins powder coated black.And then they polished the tips.It look extremly nice!

86 trx250r being rebuilt
97 300ex

Old 03-07-2002 | 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Ugly and kawi250, you guys have both asked about protecting the polished stuff. You can have them powder coated with clear and that does pretty good. Only problem is that some aluminum will have hidden deposits below the surface no mater how great the finish looks and these will come out in the powder coat process. most of the time though it works and looks great.

Quick Reply: For those of U that polished your sidecases!