Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Go-Cart help! (PICS!!!!!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might not be a better idea, I like the PVC but I don't know what the gas would do to the pvc or the glue. Also say some how you crashed I think that the pvc could break where the metal might only bend. It might be easier to mount a metal tank more solid than a pvc one. I am not trying to be negative about the pvc tank, I am just trying to help you build a better wheel. The pvc would be alot cheaper, take less time to build, and would look good all at the same time.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think I'm gonna try the PVC Idea first, because with a round, tube style shape, it'll fit nice behind the motor and under the frame bar..

BTW, if any of you have any experience with engines check out my thread in the Kawi board- "need 160cc help!" THANKS ALL!!!

Old 06-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

hey u said u have a murray go kart. It is the dark forest green one that had a 6 hp engine. I have one but its a pos. I hate go kart engine. Now ive been riding my warrior and dont know what to do with this kart. How did u set up the engine. Does it shift or does it still use that annoying centrifugal clutch. Let me know how hard it was. I got some old motors lying around. THanks... by the way..u got any pics

Old 06-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I do have some pics, I might have trouble getting them on here though, never tried on this forum.. They were posted awhile back on www.off-road.com's shortwheelbase board, maybe I can find them for you...

The motor actualy fit rather easily, since it is shaft-drive, I welded up a sprocket hub on the output shaft, I was worried about it having to much stress but its held up great!.

I got rid of all the ghey belt crap, and simply flipped the axle so the axle sprocket lines up with the motor shaft, piece -o- cake! I made a motor mount/cradle that bolted up to the adjustble holes on the cart.

The shifter linkage was a tad tricky.. I cut the motors foot shifter off, about in half, and mounted it where it pointed strait down.. I drilled a couple holes in it for shifter linkage(which I used i think its 1/4" threaded rod) I ran that piece parallel to the axle over the the side bar on the frame, where I made a triangle piece(or somekinda "L" shaped bracket) to transfer the direction of pull, I also added extra holes to allow adjustment of the linkage.

I had to get a fuel pump, one like they use on snowmobiles and such(a vaccum one) for about 25 bucks, and, I bought my sprockets from a farm supply store, not the best, but they work and had a large selection of sizes, cheap too. Oh yeah, its a #40 size chain/sprocket setup.

All in all, WELL WORTH IT!!!!! WE rode the living **** out of it last summer, and it actually held up real well, after we started using lock-tite on everything!!

If you have any questions, just lemme know, I'll be glad to help!

Old 06-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

go-cart pics, (i think!)

Okay, ya, that seems to work, you gotta click on "attachment" under my username to get the pics though, I think theres 3 or 4 pics.. ( not very good, but you get the idea!)

Old 06-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Old 06-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

yep....thats my go kart allright. How fast does it go. With the 6 horse motor it went about 45 with nothing done to it. It seems like a good project for this summer. how long did it take u to build. Im 16, but pretty good witht that kinda crap. IF i can make a homemade odyssey, that would be pretty cool!

Old 06-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

45 with the 6hp??

With the gearing I ended up with, it rev's out at around 55 or so, I guess with the right gearing it'll go faster, but I don't get it on pavement much at all- and 40mph+ on dirt is a HANDFUL of kidney jarring fun without any suspension!

Its not really made to be "fast", ya, for a go-cart it is I guess, but then again the little 5hp carts that run alcohol are alot faster, but with a single speed.

Its just fun because of the gearbox, mostly. Its like riding in a little indy-car(minus the r e a l high speeds [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

I did drag race a 2001 220cc Bayou with it, and won most of the time! Not bad for a go-cart!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

OH yeah, the other thing was,,

we ran the original 5hp around our track the few days before we decided to swap engines, and were getting lap times of about 30 to 32 seconds, after the 160cc swap, we got a few 19 second laps! REAL hard to do, its kinda sad to admit that I couldn't handle a go-cart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], but it makes me appreciate suspension on quads!!! (BTW, a 400ex made a few laps on the same flat circle track, and was getting 16 to 17 second times on average)

Old 06-17-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, i can imagine, the gearbox gives it the fun. I cant understand why people buy automatic quads, the manual is half the fun. I take mine off road alot, but if u hit a rock on a turn the thing starts bouncing like crazy and eventually i throw my back out and it hurts my lungs. But yeah, 45 on a 6. I know a kid who has a 8 hp brigs and stratton and his does around 60. But still it has that boring centrifugal clutch that sticks half the time so who cares about the speed. It runs on regular gas right??

Old 06-17-2002, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Ya, good ol pump gas.

If you've got the cart around- I'd really recommend doing it, I've had a blast on mine. Just pm me if you have any Q's

Quick Reply: Go-Cart help! (PICS!!!!!!!!)