Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

LRD vs FMF Fatty pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2000 | 10:36 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I have always been a firm believer in the LRD adj pipe until I saw some HP figures comparing the pipes head to head by someone that has no interest in either company. Now I am curious what other people think about the Fatty's vs the LRD.

Old 03-09-2000 | 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Are you simply comparing the max HP? That is not really the correct way to read a Dyno test. You really have to decide where you want the most power and go from there. I personally like the FMF pipe a lot. I have never used a LRD, but the adjustability of them is a nice feature. If you are going to use the pipe for a lot of different things, then you might want the adjustability of the LRD. BUT, you are always going to get an FMF pipe cheaper because that is what everyone sells. I don't think that you would be disappointed with either pipe. The fact that you have a LRD porting is enough to make me say just keep the LRD pipe. Your bike will run faster with the same port and pipe than if you mix brands.

Old 03-09-2000 | 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

with the fact that you have lrd porting i would go with lrd pipes and was the lrd pipe set on the same rev rate(hi,low,mid-range)as the fmf pipe and if this person got this out of a magazine then the ratings are probably not true because fmf could have had the magazine make this arcticle to make their company look good.

98'blaster bills pipe,boyeson power reeds,prm grab bar,wiseco piston, and mud shark tires

Old 03-10-2000 | 04:36 AM
Range Rover

Well I own them both. The LRD pipe has a nice little burst on the bottom and revs out real good. It has a little more bottom end too. The FMF fatty would make a better pipe in some cases because it pulls longer and revs out a little harder than the LRD (even with the pipe all the way short which is where I run it). They are both awesome pipes. You will never go wrong with either. Get the Fatty if you want a smoother powerband. Get the LRD of you like a little hit. They are very close in power from the seat of the pants test. Don't ever be fool by Dyno data. Anyone can make a pipe that looks good on paper. Usable smooth power and good bottom gets the holeshot and wins races(not talking about sand drags up a hill here). Peak power means nothing if the powerband is super narrow and unusable.

CT250R 1986CT310 (Fatty pipe)..1988CT270R (LRD Team B chrome pipe)