Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is there a difference between Dyno-Jet and jets from the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gaff, They just can't take good advice. You said it better than I could, and after all that, this is what you get. This is like telling a child, don't touch that it's hot, & they let it go in one ear & out the other. But just so that I am still replying to the thread, jet it once with Dynojet & blow your friends away. IF THEY ARE NOT AT HOME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THEIR JETTING PROBLEM!

Old 06-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I guess if you just have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you're too lazy to figure out the jetting for yourself, then dyno jet is probably the way to go. I can guarentee you won't be blowing anyone away because of it though. Now if you're like me and don't like to throw your money away, I suggest you buy a few different size main jets and figure it out yourself. It's really not that tough 2fat. Unless you're color blind, anyone can do there own jetting.

Old 06-27-2002, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

just for the record,i do have a dyno jet on my bike,anyone will tell you,jets alone dont do crap,it's all about the whole process of more fuel/air

Old 06-27-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

BlueBus, Not really lazy, just don't like to put strain on engine trying to figure out jetting. I do have my own shop with a wide variety of Keihin, Mikuni, & Dynojet jets in several cases. I have been working on engines and carbs for about 15 years. In MY PERSONAL experience, I could jet a bike with stock jets & dial in myself or use Dynojet & get it right because they did the homework. There is one big differance though. I do not have all the computers, dyno, & research labs they do. You may, but I don't. You can get it close, but they will get it right on the first time because they have the high tech know-how. In closing, if you have money to blow on a quad, you should have money to fix it up!

Old 06-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with 2fat4motto completely. The dynojet kits work from off idle to wide open.

I understand you can go along way with altering stock jetting but, the adjustabillity and finer circuit tuning of dynojet kits vs stock is no comparrisent.

I don't question yall's abillity just trying to answer what is better.

For more than 80% of us, they don't even know what a main is or where it is. So for the $50 it's the best learning experience out there.

Old 06-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, obviously I'm not going to convince anyone to do things the way I see fit, but there is one last thing I would like to add, and 2fat I think you may even agree with me on this. Not every machine is exactly the same so how can dynojet have it right before its even installed? Heres a good example. A friend of mine and myself both have Honda 250r's. Both have the same motor, same carb, same air filter. The only difference is a different pipe. Now are jetting is never the same. On a 70 degree day, at about 1000 ft above sea level, I usually run a 145 main and he runs a 155 main. I have tried a 155 but all it does is sputter. At around 60 I run a 150 and at around 50 I run a 155. According to my research, it is said that you are supposed to change one main jet size for every 15 degree temp change. Also as everyone probably knows you have to change jetting for extreme elevation changes. So you are telling me that if I put in the dyno jet kit it will be good for any temperature at any elevation? Probably not.

Old 06-29-2002, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

I should also add that I am talking mainly about 2 stroke engines. As far as I know it could be totally different for 4 strokes, but I still never had any luck with dyno jet when I had it in my street bike.

Old 06-29-2002, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Okay - here is my .02 cents worth. I have the mods you see below. I WAS running the 150/155 Mikuni main jets and then rode THEMOOSE's Raptor which is set up almost exactly like mine, and it had a kickass throttle response compared to mine. The only difference being the DynoJet kit. So I went and got one for myself (stage 2). When I used to stab the throttle it would have a slight hesitation. Now with the jet kit it has INSTANT response. My first ride on it after installing the kit was WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The grab and go was unreal compared to just bigger jets. I waited a full year before I decided to go with the kit - I wish now that I had not waited. It was some of the best money that I have spent on my performance.

Old 06-30-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

BlueBus, You are correct in the temp & sea level. But, Dynojet does not offer jet kits for 2-strokes. Also, in most cases, you will get a needle that is adjustable. Most carbs do not come with this. Also, the kits are built on or around sea level, (Las Vegas), in a normal riding temp. Where I live, these conditions suit me. Now for when I want to ride under differant conditions, I can always go to my trusty jets in shop or move the needle. I ride my ZRX year round and I have never had to change jetting. In closing, I would say that 90% of my riding is done in normal conditions.

Old 07-01-2002, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

I was not aware that they did not make the kits for 2 strokes. Here I was arguing this whole time for nothing. lol

Quick Reply: Is there a difference between Dyno-Jet and jets from the dealer?