Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

New to board, my Mod-Quad

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 05:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to board, my Mod-Quad

Hello. Nice site, lots of people and doesnt seem to have the attitude google people have. I'm a motorcycle and ATV mechanic by trade and build custom machines as a wild (expensive) hobby.
My current machine is inspired by the TT racing Yamaha XS breed bikes. I've always loved the old twins and having built a few rigid choppers and cafe-style bikes, I decided it was a decent engine to build an ice racing quad.
I began with the partspile of several leftover parts from other mods as I couldnt watch them go to waste. Rather than use a part I preferred, I used what was laying around. The front suspension and main frame from an '85 Suzuki LT250 racer, a mothballed 1980 Yamaha XS650sh, the rear swingarm and axle from a 1986 Honda ATC350X, the main frame and sub-frame of a 1984 Kawasaki KL600A, and the plastic from a 2001 Yamaha Raptor.
I used many other small parts from various bikes and quads as well. The stock XS650 engine bagan with 42bhp but with a mild cam, TX650 sleeves and venolia pistons (increasing the displacement to 743cc) hand-made headers and canisters, and a mild port job, it currently sits at 67bhp. I recently purchased a set of racing carbs for it that should bring the total above 74bhp.
If there is a way to post pics on this board, fill me in.
I have built a total of 134 custom machines in the last 15 years and while I by no means consider myself an expert, I would enjoy helping anyone I can. The only thing I like as much as building machines is talking about them.

Corum Silvermane, owner and chief mechanic, SuperSports Cycle, Poland Maine

Old 11-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

74 horsepower!!! thats nuts!

im not sure how to create a hyperlink, but you can copy and paste the web address.

Old 11-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

For a trail/sport quad you'd be making an appropriate comment, but it's built for ice drag and oval racing. Compared to many of the drag racers I'm pitted against, I'm on the low side of HP. But I was looking for USEABLE HP where most of the other guys are looking to brag about what the have and how much it cost. We dont have timed races or really even race against each other. We just like to get together in what is normally the most miserable time of the year and have a good time.

Old 11-28-2002, 01:52 PM

whoa. welcome. enjoy your stay.