Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

anyone that knows about 4 stroke heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002 | 09:48 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default anyone that knows about 4 stroke heads

i have to remove and replace, a head, for a Yamaha Raptor, and install valve springs, and remove and replace valves, I need to know if i need any tools, other than normal ones, and where I can get them at, and if theres anything i should buy besides a head gasket, like any seals, or anything, I am also removing the cylinder and piston, and getting a new piston, do I need a piston ring compressor? ANy other hints or tips would be great

Old 12-11-2002 | 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

AdamsBad

I have done what you want to do on a Warrior so I`m not familiar with the specifics of the Raptor but I can give you some basic help.

If the head and cylinder are held on with studs and nuts you may need to remove the engine from the frame to remove the parts (Warrior is this way) if the Raptor has bolts you may have enough room between the engine and frame to get the cylinder over the piston.

Don`t forget there is a timing chain that runs in there as well.

Basic hand tools should suffice but a spring compressor wiil be necessary. I used an automotive one with modified tips to reach into the head. I would assume that the 5 valve springs on a Raptor head would be difficult to get to.

I found I did not need a ring compressor after I purchased one. The lower end of the cylinder sleeve was tapered larger than the top and acted as it`s own compressor. I would disassemble first to see if your cylinder will be the same and buy if needed then.

You will probably need a cyliner base gasket as well. I would talk with the local Yamaha parts guy to see if any other gaaskets or seals are needed.

HTH

Old 12-11-2002 | 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Adam. a few helpful hints.
you can use a large hose clamp to hold the rings as you slide the barrel over the piston. Use 2 blocks between the case and piston to support the piston as you slide the barrel over while loosening the hose clamp to help it slide over. (2 man job)

When I brought my head over to Trinity to do the head work, Harry used a deep socket on top of the valve spring and gave it a wack with his palm to release tension and pop the retainers out.

Old 12-11-2002 | 06:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hmm, that's an interesting method. Also, I will be replacing the valves. Everything else seems fine, do I need to replace anything else? Like Guides/seals?

Old 12-22-2002 | 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

you should replace the valve guide seals, if you use a deep socket to remove the springs be sure to pack some paper in the socket so you do not lose the keepers. even if you have new valves, you better lap them into the head. i've see new valves that have leaked! go to an auto parts srore and buy some lapping compound. hope this helps