Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

NO LID ON AIR BOX???????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003 | 06:11 PM
Range Rover
Default NO LID ON AIR BOX???????????

how about the water proof outerwears i had one once and it worked great i could fill it up with water and it never leaked through.

Old 03-02-2003 | 04:38 PM
Range Rover

They also make inserts that you can put in the airbox. They have there own little filters and you get a ton of air. You can cut as many into the airbox top as you want. All you need to do is get the 1" filters and cut a 1" hole and insert them. they are rubber with foam filters that you can take out and wash

Old 03-05-2003 | 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Dynojet is near my house and they did all the mods you are talking about, and it did great on the dyno. With the DMC exhaust, Yamaha rejetting, modified snorkle and six holes cut in the lid with pre-filters I dynoed at 37hp. Dynojet then installed a Pro design assembly with a K&N with there stage two jet kit and it dynoed at 43hp. I felt significant gaines. As far a water entering my filter, I rarely have to wory about that:-)

Old 03-06-2003 | 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

YEA AND PROBABLEY THEY HAVE NEVER RODE IT ,I HAD THE LID ON AND NOW IT IS OFF,AND IT RUNS SO MUCH STRONGER AND ALOT MORE POWER..

Old 03-11-2003 | 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor010101
When i spoke to the guys at dyno jet they told me that running the air box lid off on the raptor will not allow you to gain as much power on the low to mid range as if you just cut out your snorkle, they said you will still get some low to mid rangfe gain but less with the lid completely off... they said it is the air velocity that matters most, the small opening of the snorkle is made to funnel the air directly into the filter at a greater velocity much like blowing through a strw as compare to a roll to toilet paper. they said that the only gains made with the lid off wil come at the very top end of your RPM and will not be seen by most sport riders. they said they have the dyno results to prove this......... I would like to hear your experience on this ???
Sounds like a bunch of crap. Unless the air is being rammed into the airbox (which, most likely it is not) then there is a vacuum being created by the engine which pulls the air in, creates a pressure difference and thereby reduces the mass of air entering the engine. Less air + less fuel = less power, ipso facto you want to remove the restrictions.

Air velocity matters when you're trying to get the fuel to atomize and vaporize in the intake air. Also, high velocity allows for better combustion chamber penetration of the fuel/air mixture.

BTW: did you notice it's a lot easier to blow more air through a roll of toilet paper than a straw?

Airbox Mod Theory
This link applies to cars, but the idea translates well to the ATV airbox lid mod.