Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

NO LID ON AIR BOX???????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003 | 11:30 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default NO LID ON AIR BOX???????????

I've been hearing people with raptors saying K&N filter with no air box lid.....hmmmmm what should i do keep mine on reagular air box with hi-flow K&N air filter???And how does it help???

Old 02-03-2003 | 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Even with a high flowing air filter, the design of the Raptor air box does not allow the engine to breathe fully unless the lid is off. If you take your air box lid off, you will have to rejet the carbs to keep the air/fuel mixture correct. If you add an aftermarket exhaust AND take the air box lid off, you will get a tremendous amount of power after you rejet the carbs to make up for the additional air flow. I have ridden my Raptor without an air box lid in snow, mud, slush, and dust without any problems. After a particularly dusty ride, the K&N outer wear was pretty caked with dirt but it cleaned up easy enough. Unless you plan on taking your Raptor for a swim, take off the air box lid or cut large holes in it to let the engine breathe.

Old 02-04-2003 | 12:05 AM
|
Trailblazer

alright i will take my lid off once i get my DMC alien pipe and jet kit and i have another ?'ion what is the outer wear i am not for sure? because i see some K&N filters and air boxes with no lids that have this blue or what ever color type plastic thangy around it i just have a filter right now do i need somethang else for it?

Old 02-04-2003 | 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

RapBoy an Outerwear is a Pre Filter that slips over your K & N Filter.It keeps tiny dust from entering the filter.Also you dont have to clean your Filter as often just slip off the Outerwear and clean that. late,zubbeyboy

Old 02-04-2003 | 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, a K&N will flow more than any other air filter but it also allows very small dust particles to pass. If you plan to ride anywhere except an asphalt track, you should get an outer wear. There are two types, an open cell foam sleeve and the one you saw, a thin nylon cover. I don't know which is better but I have the foam sleeve. After the dusty ride I mentioned above, the foam sleeve was full of dust but the actual air filter itself wasn't very dirty. A few of my friends run the nylon cover and haven't had any trouble. All of them must be cleaned regularly or air flow will drop.

I like what I hear about the performance of the Alien exhaust. If you don't mind the extra noise, you should be very happy it. I have the full Yoshi and my buddies say that my Raptor sounds like a full-auto 30-06 when I get on it in the woods. According to Dirt Wheels and a few posts here, the Alien is louder than the Yoshi.

Old 02-04-2003 | 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

just remove the whole thing and throw a couple clamp on filters and some rejeting and it will be all good

Old 02-09-2003 | 10:33 PM
Range Rover

try oiling xl pantyhoses and using them. they work excellant and are cheap. u dont have to clean them, just dispose and put another 1 on that u would already have ready to go.

Old 02-09-2003 | 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I switched to an open element K&N on my Banshee which completely elminates the airbox. I hate it .It's great for power, but now everytime I go to fast through a puddle and water splashes on the filter, or it's raining to hard my quad stalls. Unfortunately I had to use it with the single carb kit.

Old 02-10-2003 | 02:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

K&N is now making box lids for quads. Not sure if they do one for a banshee, but that'd eliminate some of your issues.

Old 02-12-2003 | 05:12 PM
Range Rover

When i spoke to the guys at dyno jet they told me that running the air box lid off on the raptor will not allow you to gain as much power on the low to mid range as if you just cut out your snorkle, they said you will still get some low to mid rangfe gain but less with the lid completely off... they said it is the air velocity that matters most, the small opening of the snorkle is made to funnel the air directly into the filter at a greater velocity much like blowing through a strw as compare to a roll to toilet paper. they said that the only gains made with the lid off wil come at the very top end of your RPM and will not be seen by most sport riders. they said they have the dyno results to prove this......... I would like to hear your experience on this ???