Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

EGT gauges on a Banshee or any 2-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT gauges on a Banshee or any 2-stroke

I wanted to check and see if anyone has ran a "EGT" (exhaust gas temp) set-up on their bike, and if so, how do you like it? And how do you have your stuff mounted?

I've been looking at a couple different set-ups, and keep falling back towards the EGT mechanical, Avenger I (EGT) and Avenger II (this you get EGT and H2O temp) with clamp on probes for the pipes.

Old 02-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

YOU REALLY DONT NEED THIS UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING NITROUS......IF JETTED PROPERLY YOU EX. TEMP WILL NEVER BE IN THE DANGER ZONE.....UNLESS YOU ARE JUST WANTING THEM FOR THE HECK OF IT....
THEY DO LOOK COOL......BUT EXPENSIVE.......

TIM

Old 02-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

Tim, I seen your topic on "jetting" and it looks like we jet bikes the same way. The one thing we found with our sleds is that we can fine tune them a little better with a EGT unit, the sleds can be a little more tempermental, especialy with the cold air and altitude changes (2500-7000 ft.) that can happen rapidly. I think a EGT unit can be useful for more than just nitrous. I do agree, they can be alittle expensive buying one of the units.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

EGT's help for nitrous tuning a lot. But its pretty closed minded to say thats all they are good for. Any bike could/should run an EGT. I dont see why not. Even on methanol an EGT is very benificial. You can also see if one cylinder is running hotter then another...ect ect...cheap insurance boys

Old 02-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Pro-flo.com has some neat EGT and CHT (cylinder head temp) gauges. They build 1, 2, 3, and 4 cylinder vintage two-stroke motorcylcles and have the gauges for these bikes. They also have great customer service.

Old 02-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

The problem I've always had with egt's on an atv or snowmobile........You are bouncing around so much, that you can't read them! The time it takes to go from safe to meltdown isn't much, and if you can't read the gauge??

Old 02-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

chicneater

I did had the egt on my banshee when I had the t-4 pipe and it work great at least you know where the egt is at. Now I have the T-5 and have not had a chance to put on my t-5 pipe yet. kinda like when I get around.....lol

Old 02-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

LETITSNOW, were you running a digital or needle gauge? We have run the "avenger" series on our sleds and don't have any problem's reading them while riding, plus they also have the alarms as options that you can use (display flash, light or audible alarm) to warn you that the temp. is approaching the higher end of what you want your temp. to be.

I have decided to go ahead and use a EGT gauge, now it's just trying to decide which gauge to use. I'm thinking the RacePak "avenger II", this way the both cylinders EGT's are displayed at the same time, and a H20 sensor can also be ran if I want to ad it on.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

lookin to get a egt gauge for my 4 mil cub on alky... what brand should i be lookin for ?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

lookin to get a egt gauge for my 4 mil cub on alky... what brand should i be lookin for ?
It just depends on what you want. I have Isspro gauges on all my turbo engines. They all work just fine.
Just punch in EGT gauges in Googe and see what you like.

Quick Reply: EGT gauges on a Banshee or any 2-stroke