Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Harley Quad??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Quad??

Im new to the forums and have a project ideas. My family is involved with harleys/harley racing. Has anyone built a harley quad? THis thought has come to me many times. I think a 1200 sportster would be best, and i think you could do it with a stock frame. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Quad??

The vibrations that would be transmitted from that motor to the frame would destroy the frame in short order. That's one reason you dodn't find the CR500 Two strokes in quads. HARMONICS.

You could do it if you have the money and time. This I assume would be for drag only so the vibs may not me a major consideration.

Smitty

Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Harley Quad??

Its been done, I have a pic if you want it

He put it in a Zilla frame

Old 03-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default Harley Quad??

send pics[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] my email address

Old 03-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Harley Quad??

ill take a pic too please-aaronxtreme@hotmail.com thanks! ok now back on topic, if you used a harley frame, what would be so bad bout the vibration, ive seen many harley trikes. and sportsters dont vibrate nearly as bad. i figured all you would need is the front half of a quad frame, and a custom swing arm, and possibly rubber mount the engine. the only problem i haev thought of would be if a harley vtwin would take runnin through water. (and no this would not be for just dragracing). Another thought i had was use a buell blast engine (500cc) or the new buell lightning (986?cc).

Old 03-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Harley Quad??

blast would probally work better, lighter, single cyl, ideally looking for a balanced engine, or realatively..most of the quad motors are single cylinder, multiple cylinders are twins, then Kaw has the v twin, but it is balanced..(90 degrees) relativly light weight, high torque, higher rpms, work better than large displacement motors that rev to 5K rpms or so..just a question, what is max rpm for a blast, or sporster 883, or evo motor?..the thing here is it is diffrent than in a street bike, there is somethimes low speed running where it gets hotter than in street use. not a problem, but that is why you see a lot of the quads going to either air/oil cooling, or liquid cooling.. If I had a stack of shovels, evos, mercs, blasts, lightnings, TC88B's, and v rods laying around to play with, I'd use the blast..the others I'd make more $$ on as far as street use.. but it is a interesting project for sure.. good luck.. also, something else to consider, you would have to possibly change the transmission gear ratios, so I'd want something that has a good availibility of parts to allow me to do that..it is diffrent, pulling a 150/90/17 bike tire than pulling 25/8/10 tires..so it may have to be modified..chain drive would allow a lot of options there..let me know how it goes..

Old 03-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Harley Quad??

ive seen one on the net, and ice racing harley sportster quad. we rev ours to bout 8k, stock we revved it to 7, (ours is a 150hp beast)

Old 03-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Harley Quad??

did'nt say it could'nt be done..just did not know what rev limit a sporty would go to.. I do know that they are quick, I'm more familiar with metric twins (yammy star line) & know the road star only goes to about 5K, while the v star 650 goes to about 7K, not sure about the 1100, royal star (v4) goes to 5800, stock rev limit..these can be raised, with igniter modules and stiffer valve springs, but onlt about 2200 rpm or so.. still balancing would be pretty important..

Old 03-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Harley Quad??

Why not post some pics of the HD beast in the photo gallery of ATVconnection?I personally like the idea and have been tring to figure out a way to use a Polaris tranny but then it would have to be a big twin instead of a Sporty.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Harley Quad??

how do i do that? the beast is a 2wheelbike just to let ya know

Quick Reply: Harley Quad??