Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Making your own exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003 | 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Making your own exhaust

Originally posted by: NCScrambler
LOL, no it is not. The tach is for making adjustments to clutching, fine tuning if you want to call it that, and the EGT gauge is for keeping an eye on what my engine is doing at all times and is a very helpful aid in tuning the carb. I have had my engine run lean on me and seize before and with so much invested in mods to the motor, I don't want to see it happen again. The EGT gives a real time picture of just how hot my exhaust gases are at that point and time and by keeping an eye on that I know then if a problem arises. Also, for tuning the carb, if the exhaust is too cool I know that I am running too rich in any given circuit and if it is too hot, then I am running lean, It is really something you can't live without once you get used to it.

OK thanks...I was sitting here wondering why the hell you'd need that...makes scence.

Old 05-21-2003 | 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Making your own exhaust

No problem, Killer. Bartlett is right, for the 4 stroke, no big deal on the pipe, but if you really want to make it work, you need more air going in if you are wanting more to go out.