Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Fuel overflow only when running

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

On the transmission under the carb is a carb dampening bracket and rubber bumper. Check that rubber bumper is still in place. If it is you can try to bend upwards to support carb and to keep from vibrating or build up the support under the carb. Gas usually comes out of the over flow on the 400's from vibration and sloshing gas up too high. Try this and see if it helps. OPT

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rubber pad is still there. The carb is actually sitting on it while it's not running. Would it hurt to either zip-tie it down to it or something of the sort? I know it has to be able to wiggle a little, but it would help keep it from vibrating up and down if it was tied down. I'll try to get the little tab that the rubber is on bent up, but I doubt I'll get much out of it because the bracket bolts on at the top and bottom-front of the tranny, and it's just the tab that holds the pad that sticks out off of it.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can try to secure it to where it won't vibrate and see if the leaking stops. OPT

Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well... I bent the tab up and tried it.... then I strapped it down and tried it.... then I tightened the crap out of the ziptie and tried it... now I'm looking for something else... I really appreciate the ideas and help, I just can't get anything to work. It doesn't load up or bog on acceleration and it doesn't leak except for when the rpms are getting back down closer to idle. I tried it with the tab bent and the carb tied down with the hose pinched between the frame and the rear brake line and it acted the way it's supposed to, but I'd like to keep trying any ideas you or anyone else has to get it to do like it's supposed to instead of having it jury rigged.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

About the last thing I can think of since its not bogging and is running ok is to try a little more down on the float tab to see if it stops and still runs ok. Whats happening is when the engine starts to come down to an idle basically the whole engine will "judder" as I call it, or vibrate until it reaches a smooth idle.Same problem on the the BST40 carb on the four strokes even though they have a carb bracket,DON'T think I could ever get em to stop dripping just a bit! Plus the rubber motor mounts don't help that much either in my opinion. Give this a shot! OPT

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Actually thought about bending the tab for the needle too and tried it but it still drips. I guess I'll just hang the end of the hose up higher and see how it goes. I really do appreciate the help and ideas! If I ever figure it out I'll let you know what I did, and if you ever think of something else I'll try it. At this point I think I'd try almost anything. It may have always done it, and the leaking needle made me take notice... Who knows... Thanks again OPT!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I wouldn't hang it up higher! No way for fuel to return and will just over flow and drip on engine. Just hang it below the frame and you probably won't notice any fuel drips that much. Just mainly vibration thats tough on the carb.Even had a problem on a lot of em when they were brand new(would drip a tad) and even worse at times on the BST40 carb no matter which way I went with it.. OPT

Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'll have to pickup some more tubing to get it down lower so it's not dripping on anything. I forgot about the one-way valve. I'll keep tinkering with it and see if I can figure anything out. Thanks opt!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default same problem

I gave a 95 xplorer 400 doing the same exact thing. Did you ever figure fix the problem?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by snuddenstang
I gave a 95 xplorer 400 doing the same exact thing. Did you ever figure fix the problem?
If you haven't gone through the carb,I would replace the needle and seat,make sure also the float arm is parallel with the carb body when held upside down. Also make sure the rubber carb dampener is still under the carb on the transmission and hasn't rotted off. OPT

Quick Reply: Fuel overflow only when running