Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 scrambler 400 2 stroke motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 scrambler 400 2 stroke motor

hi there again

problem with my polaris scrambler 400 two stroke machine.

went riding the other day 90 degrees and humid. Got back after some trial riding (certianly not banshin) and the over flow of the antifreeze was boiling like crazy.

I also noticed that the fan was not on nor the lights.

I checked the stator and it read with in normal ohms, the wire coming from the stator went up in voltage as i reved the engine up, the main fuse appears to be working as well. The battery is completely drained (new battery one month ago)

Any one know of a secondary fuse or maybe the volatage regulator is bad.

please any help would be appreciated

james

Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

First off just pull the two wires from the radiator sensor at top of radiator(or ground them out with needle nose pliers) and see if fan comes on when switch is on.If fan operates,replace radiator sensor(can try auto stores for replacement if don't want to pay Polaris prices)If fan doesn't come on,check with 12 volts direct to fan,could have a bad fan motor. As far as hot light make sure wire is hooked to sensor at back of head. If this is ok, you can have a bad bulb (#4040053).After every things done,leave the radiator cap off until fan cycles on to remove any trapped air,top off radiator and overflow bottle. PLUS Welcome to the forum!! ADDITIONAL:just read the last sentence on your post! MUST have a fully charged battery for fan to operate also!! With a good battery,check charging to battery,should be 14-14.5 volts or regulator/rectifier could be bad,not charging battery!!OPT

Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Info

OKAY GROUNDING THE TWO WIRES TOGETHER WILL TURN THE FAN ON IF FAULTY.iF IT STAYS OFF THEN THE RELAY IS GOOD. IT WAS RUNNING REAL HOT AND I WAS SUPRISED THE HOT LIGHT DID NOT COME ON. lUCKILY I STOPPED AND PACKED UP FOR HOME.

sOME ONE METIONED THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR. I THINK I FOUND UNDER THE FRONT NOSE COWLE BEHIND OIL RESERVOIR. wHAT DO YOU THINK?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry that I overlooked the battery part! If battery is low or dead,fan won't operate or the lights. just charge the battery and see if regulator is charging 14 volts back to battery,if not replace the regulator/rectifier. Have had some batteries straight out of the box that also wouldn't hold a charge. May need to have the battery load tested? Plus check that the regulator wires are plugged in securely,bad about red wires coming loose! Hope this helps a little better! OPT

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1996 scrambler 400

hi there

i took the wires off the radiator sensor. Then used the needle nose to touch eachother. The fan came on. so is that good or bad

thx james

Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What this does is just to by pass or ground out the radiator sensor and since the fan kicked on,the rest of the wiring and the fan is ok! Just replace the sensor if fan doesn't come on with a GOOD battery and gets hot! This sensor was very common to burn out because it was located at the top of the radiator and most of the time was ABOVE coolant level! All the later models are located where they should be,on the bottom of the radiator,but they can also go out! OPT

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default scrambler

okay i did that thank you. When i touched the inside of the two wires together it did turn on (the fan) i dont think im getting juice to the battery. Shouldnt it go up in volts if i rev the engine up. I was reading 12.85 volts running.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes you must have 14 to 14.5 volts at the battery from the regulator/rectifier (yes you may have to increase the engine speed to get this voltage on the older machines!) If the battery is good,but not charging this amount back while running,REPLACE the regulator/rectifier! I still wouldn't rule out a bad radiator sensor also,but get the charging fixed first then you will be able to see if the fan kicks on when warm! OPT

Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default scrambler

yes im thinking the regulator to. I found it under the front cowle wedged in between the oil injection tank and the frame! Near the electric panel- pretty tight fit.

I defintly not getting over 13 volts while machine is running

i am gonna change the coolant sensor too to be safe.

thanks for all your help to i appreciate it

ps. i drove to dallas from nh in april helping a patient out to move back there

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

April was nice weather,now its been over a 100 degrees for about 18 straight days and about 25 total days over a 100 degrees since first week of June! Good luck on the 400 ! OPT

Quick Reply: 1996 scrambler 400 2 stroke motor