Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

T-Bap sensor check??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Now might be the time to have it hooked up to Digital Wrench at the dealers! Sounds like you've done about all you can do without having it checked out. This is the problem with efi systems and the software only the dealers have! Hardly any room for shade tree techs anymore no matter how large the tree or even how much experience you have without the correct tools! Keep us updated. PS even if the ECU is the problem and a new one is needed,it HAS to be programmed before it will work! OPT

Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone got the wire color vs. the numbers on the T-Bap sensor?? Was just thinking maybe my manual is wrong??

Dylan

Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update:

Had kinda decided that I was gonna take my bike to the dealer and have them look at it, so I called them up and talked to their tech about what their shop rate is etc. I also asked them what happens if they determine that the ECU is bad, if they change it, and it mysteriously doesn't fix the problem. Who is responsible for the bill on the ECU. He said "We wouldn't order an ECU if that wasn't the problem, because once we install an electrical component, we can't send it back". So now I'm a little leery about sending it to these local guys, because without it throwing a code how would the digital wrench have any idea what is wrong???

So back out to the garage I go to have one more go at it. I discovered something interesting this time though. When you plug the OHM meter into the yellow wire on the TPS, and start the machine, the voltage reading fluctuates, w/out the butterfly moving. Shouldn't this reading be a constant number to stabilize the idle?? Anybody know??

Dylan

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That why I said the Digital Wrench software could probably find the problem because the speedo doesn't always throw a code if there is a problem and if there is a definite short or sensor or ecu problem the Digital Wrench will show it!! If it doesn't,the ecu can be reprogrammed and may solve it! Most shops charge a one hr diagnostic fee,well worth the cost! OPT

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I took it to the dealer today. they said they were a week and a half behind. Wait, wait, wait.

Dylan

Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, so I guess I'm gonna have to tell on myself. I got a call from the dealer today, and they said the only thing they could find wrong, was the T-Bap harness was wired backwards. So I guess I must've been looking at the diagram in the book incorrectly???

Dylan

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

S****t happens! Even the factory t-bap repair harness connector wires weren't the same color on some models and had little stickers on the wires telling which wire to connect to when spliced in!! Glad you found the problem! OPT