Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

06 Sportsman 450 Browning Edition wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPT, So I worked on it a little last night, checked the vent tubes coming off he airbox going to the fuel tank, I could blow through the tube and hear going into the fuel tank. I checked the crank case vent tube, it seemed to be clear as well. Fuel filter was clear for sure, because I pulled the line off the carb and drained the fuel out of the tank using that supply line, the petcock valve seemed to be working just fine as well as I was switching it from off to on then to reserve...fuel flowed just fine when it was in the on position or reserve position. I changed the spark plug, put the slide needle back in the 3rd position from the top like it originally was and as you said. It still ddnt run right, it was still slobbering in nuetral, and even some times I would just snap the throttle down really fast from an idle and it would almost act like it flooding out and would not rev up at all and die if you would continue to hold the throttle wide opn, but if you let off it would go back to an idle. ???? Grrrrr I am gettin frustrated at this point, so I pulled the bowl off the carb and looked at he float level (seemed) ok, so with out the bowl on the carb I put the carb back aon the motor, turned on he fuel and held the float to make sure the needle and seat are working properly, (seemed ok) so I turned the carb back over and looked at the float again and adjusted it a little higher so that it wouldnt let as much fuel in the bowl wondering if that woul help...although I adjusted it in the wrong direction..LOL now I have fuel running out of the over flow. I quit working on it at this point as I was just even more frustrated by now.

I have not run an actual compression test at this point, and I meant o before I pu the new spark plug in, and I have not pulled the valve cover off to check the clearance as you suggested either. I was just not feeling that motivated last night, plus I was hoping that a little elf came along in the past week and magically fixed it or that the spark plug would fix it. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! OPT I will just bring it to you and let you lay your magical hands on it and fix it for me!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!

OK at this point do you have any other ideas? I still think it is carbueration...I really feel it is running very rich, the old plug was very black and carboned up, i had pulled it out and cleaned it with a wire brush the last time I had pulled it out...and I have not run it that much since. According to the gauge this unit only has 526 miles on it and very little hours. Please Help OPT!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
how many miles are on machine? maybe sercondary clutch button worn , alot of people think its a carb problem when its the buttons making cluch not shift right
the transmission is workin great...it is a fuel related problem because like I said it is slobbering on it self when the unit is in nuetral and I am just trying to free rev it. ??? I am just getting frustrated with it.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CRWFSH33
the transmission is workin great...it is a fuel related problem because like I said it is slobbering on it self when the unit is in nuetral and I am just trying to free rev it. ??? I am just getting frustrated with it.
If plug is black its definitely too rich as you say.Plus have you checked the valve clearance also? The float should be level with the carb body when held upside down!! Don't bend the tang too much !
If the problem is getting too much for you then it might be time to let a shop look at it,as the problem may not only be fuel,could be an electrical breakdown which sometimes mimic fuel related problems also.Plus a manual might be worth investing in on this machine! PLUS did you ever check the slack in the throttle? 1/8" max on the thumb throttle or the etc will kick in and cause a lot of problems similar to what you are having(retarding spark) along with the carb problems you are having! OPT

Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, I know it has been a few weeks, but I told you guys I would keep you posted. So I got tired of messing with the machine myself, I remembered that I had some friends that I raced sprint cars with that own their own motorcycle and ATV repair shop, guess what? Come to find out when I called them they are certified Polaris techs, so I took it to them...Yep I was right, it was all in the carb! He put a full carb kit in it, changed the plug (again), and I had him fix a few other things just so I would have it ready to ride for the huntin season.....but wow it runs like a top! I am very happy with this 4-wheeler now...I would still like to put a few mods on it to make it a bit more peppier! But over all...HELL YEAH!!!!!!

OPT, do you know if the 450 and 500 parts will interchange....for example exhaust? the 500 HO camshaft and rockers? also will I need to get the bigger carb if I do the cam or can I just do a full aftermarket performance carb kit?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You have the same cam as the 2006 500 HO and the 2006 Scrambler 500 # 3085855! The intake manifolds are different and you would have to change out that nice clean carb for a new one! If mine I would leave it alone! NOT that much to gain for the amount of money you would spend trying to boost up the 450! OPT