Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2008 sportsman 800 Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 sportsman 800 Over heating

Just a quicky to y'all
Does the fan run off the battery? I had to charge the battery, never had to do that before. Then it over heated and I noticed the fan wasnt going. Then the battery was dead again... Ant suggestions?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! First check that you are charging 14-14.5 volts back to battery while running. If not the regulator/rectifier could be the source of the problem. If the battery doesn't have enough stored voltage then the fan won't kick on. Could be the reason you've had to charge it! Plus if there is 14 volts going to the battery,if the battery is old,could be that the battery has a dead cell and can't hold a charge. You can also supply 12 volts directly to the fan motor to eliminate this as part of the problem! OPT

Old 12-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad your retired too! Thanks

Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum.. with a charged battery un plug the temp sensor on the engine w/ the key on and the fan should kick on. this way you can rule out the fan not working. also check the fan for debri like sticks or small rocks that might have got stuck in the fan. happened on my 08 800 and over heated it. as far as the battery goes have it fully charged and take it to a auto parts store or some one w./ a load tested to see if it's a bad battery. with these bikes they need a good 12.8 volt charge as mentioned to operate correctly.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I assume the Temp Sensor is on the left sidt of the engine near the freeze plug. Did that and the fan doesnt go on when I turn the key on. But I did jump the fan and works great. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the temp sensor is mounted on the cyclinder under one on the hoses i think. either way its just got a 2 wire plug end to it. when you unhook that sensor the bike defaults to the hot light coming on as well as the fan. if this happens then the sysytem is working correctly and if not there is something wrong. this is per the manual.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

temp sensor on 800 is in lower right corner of radiator, unplug with key on and fan should come on

Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I disconnected and turn key on...Still doesnt go on. Could be the regulator but not sure how to check it. Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Have the battery load tested,replace if needed!The thermistor sensor is on the engine cylinder as mentioned! Use a fully charged battery to crank the machine,IF it's NOT charging back 14-14.5 volts back to the battery then it won't have enough power to trigger the fan circuit!(especially when you said the battery was dead after running!) Replace the regulator/rectifier! If there is charging back to the battery,replace the thermistor sensor since you've found out that the fan works as this sensor kicks on the fan when operating properly! PLUS check the circuit breaker on the harness up from the fuse block for power to each side and also the fuses themselves! OPT

Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Cool Tried it all 800 sprotsman fan wont go on!

Maybe someone can help. I tried the fan direct and it runs great. New battery so that shouldnt be the problem. I disconnected the temp sensor and the fan still doesnt go on. I looked at the wire harness diagram and it shows an in line 20 amp fuse. Does anyone know where that is? not on the fuse box! It is somewhere else. I have no idea why this fan wont go on when it gets hot? Any one?

Quick Reply: 2008 sportsman 800 Over heating