Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Costs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costs ?

Hello , I own a 2000 scrambler 4x4 500 . I recently purchaced it off ebay , ive been able to go riding once . I work out of the state's . what I have diagnosed is I have piston slap ,ugh . Yes a new wiesco piston when I get home in june . My question is this , around how expencive will this be to do . I understand the piston cost and new rings etc. , what in the cost of labor ? . I wont be home very long and am planning on having it professionaly repaired and down time ? . around cost and how long should I expect this to take .. around about ? I live in the southern california area & debating going to the polaris dealer or a independent mech ? , yes I know the dealer will take me to the cleaners ..... overhead . so could anyone please give me a figure . thank you very much !

Last edited by tadman; 03-31-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

thank you for serving
is there anyone that can take it in and have it done while you are still out of country? this way it would be ready when you got back instead of having the downtime and you waiting on it to be able to ride

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank's for the reply , that may be possible , my wife just purchaced a quad trailer . I will have to ask her if she could . but my main concern is what it may cost ?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Ballpark $500-600 on a top end only with piston, cam chain,gaskets,cylinder bore,valve job and seals if need??coolant, plus misc. Can be off one way or another depending on if you do the tear down and assembly,etc or someone else does it? Just get a good estimate before you commit! Some places can charge you as much as what a car engine could cost to rebuild so be careful!
PLUS make sure to check out the bottom end on this 12 year old atv as a bottom end can take out a new top end and the good money you've already spent! OPT

Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV 500 This will give you a idea.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi , thank you . Yes I was thinking it is that old & then you think if I do just the top end , what of the bottom end , main bearings , the the connecting rod and the bearings there , all that old . so to fix one problem could cause alot other's . heck I should have purchaced a newer one ! darn ! . I do like it because I can ride year round when im home 2 strokes in California are restricted ... thank you cali for saving us LOL . Being a four stroke it reminds me of my old 83 xr500r on the torque and power band . So the question is this do I sell it or fix it and roll the dice , with just fixing the top end ? or just go buy a newer one when i get home ? . as old as it is it my not be worth fixing it , the money spent . Could be used for the down on a new or newer quad . I see you around here . I want to thank you for looking at my post , & taking the time to give me food for thought . Your time upon this is very much appeciated ! . Your the "MAN" !

Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by tadman
Hi , thank you . Yes I was thinking it is that old & then you think if I do just the top end , what of the bottom end , main bearings , the the connecting rod and the bearings there , all that old . so to fix one problem could cause alot other's . heck I should have purchaced a newer one ! darn ! . I do like it because I can ride year round when im home 2 strokes in California are restricted ... thank you cali for saving us LOL . Being a four stroke it reminds me of my old 83 xr500r on the torque and power band . So the question is this do I sell it or fix it and roll the dice , with just fixing the top end ? or just go buy a newer one when i get home ? . as old as it is it my not be worth fixing it , the money spent . Could be used for the down on a new or newer quad . I see you around here . I want to thank you for looking at my post , & taking the time to give me food for thought . Your time upon this is very much appeciated ! . Your the "MAN" !
The 500 bottom end is much stronger than the two strokes and quite possibly you can get by with the top end since it's always bathed in oil,but have it checked out to be on the safe side! OPT

Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi what concerns me is this do I spend this kind of cash on repair . Knowing full & well this isnt the end of it , being an older quad has its disadvatages . because this isnt the end of it . I dont need any more power , I'm 56 and dont the speed and racing when I was a younger man . what I purchaced this for was when im in the U.S. with my family out trail riding . For me that is great fun , we dont have to worry about cars as we do when we ride our harleys on the street . I refound the joy of dirt riding with a quad that I seem to have forgotten . At this point of my life I dont care to ride two wheels in the dirt , cool for others but I like the stability of the four wheeler in the sand and trails . it's a personal choice , but now I know i will ride until I cant walk anymore LOL , good times , thank you .

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I hear ya ! , My bud has a guy he work with used to work for a factory rider , gave it up to open his own shop . I think I may take it to him as apposed to a polaris dealer , try to shave some cash outlay . My whole thing is this I just trail ride and want a dependable way to go out with my family and return without the tow rope LOL .... been there done that back in the 70's & 80's . So I may in earnest look for a newer quad , same one a 500 scrambler 4x4 , oh well live and learn

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just like an old car,you can spend a lot of money on it and it's still an old car, but expect things like water pump seals, possibly fan motors, so on and so forth to go out.(Depends a lot on how previous owner maintained it also) You just have to decide whether you want to maintain an older machine or pay the price for a new one. Good luck which ever way you choose! OPT

Quick Reply: Costs ?