Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
View Poll Results: IS this normal?
Yes, just pay the bill
0%
No, get a second opinion
100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

04 Polaris ATP 500 ATP_ does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 Polaris ATP 500 ATP_ does this sound right?

ALL DOES THIS SOUND FISHY?

Last January I bought a 2004 Polaris ATP 500 4X4. It looked to be in excellent shape and since it was owned by the previous owner of the house I am in I asked all of the neighbors about it. They all concluded that he was meticulous with everything (which I could tell by the house) and that he kept it in the garage. They all rode with him and said he never drove fast and got the yearly service done at the dealership he bought it from. It worked great till January, when the ASM carriage (rear end)failed. It actually shot a piece of the internal parts out of the aluminum on the carriage. It was full of fluid (which at that point was in a large puddle on the ground). I drove it slowly back home and parked it in the garage until I could bring it to the same dealer that had always serviced the model.
When I dropped it off, it was running flawlessly (not counting the clunking rear end). I asked them to do a full service and give me an estimate of the repair. The next week, I called them and was told that I needed to replace the entire ASM carriage. I told them to go ahead, since the entire service and repair would cost around $2K. Aw eek or so later they called me and told me it was tested and running great. I was ready for pickup and I verified that it still only cost the $2K.
When I went to pick up the ATV, they gave me the paperwork and I headed to the parts counter to pay the bill, while they got the ATV and put it on my trailer. After an hour I walked back into the shop to make sure they hadn't forgotten me. They told me they would be out there as soon as they could. Thirty minutes later, they told me that they were having issues with getting the ATV started. After a total of 3 hours, they told me they would have to clean the fuel lines and would have it delivered to me the next Thursday since, it was over 45 minutes away.
The next Wednesday they called me and told me there were still problems and they can think it is a bad fuel pump. A few days later, I checked on it again, they said they have to call me back, never did. I called tow days later and now they tell me that rebuilding the fuel pump didn't fix the problem. Now they are telling me that they might need to open up the motor since it might be a bad crankshaft.

This ATV was running great when I dropped it off, is it normal to have so many problems while at the dealer?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very strange since the motor has nothing to do with the rear end and 500 Fuji motor can be treated like a red headed stepchild and run great let alone one that was babied.

Is it a carb modle? Maybe the ECM never had the recall done yet. ATV : Polaris Ind. expands recall of ATVs

That thing can pop without warning like a light bulb.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

+ 1 on something sounds fishy! The 500 crank is about as bullet proof as they come unless you run em out of oil! Plus we sold quite a few of the ATP's to farmers that beat the hell out of em and I only had to replace one rear differential solenoid,never had to mess with a rear diff other than change the fluid and some fluid I changed looked like STP as it was so thick and burnt,but still chugging along! Don't know if the previous owner was trying to hide something ,but sounds like you would notice anything major before you took it in. You have the right to stop work at the point you agreed upon if you feel you're being fleeced and have someone else look at it! Plus the ATP didn't have the ecm,just a regulator/rectifier in 2004,so that shouldn't have anything to do with it OPT