Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris Scrambler 500 water in engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Scrambler 500 water in engine

Hey, I recently went thought a couple feet of water with my Scrambler and when I got though it and went about 20 feet farther down the trail it stopped working. I'm pretty sure I got water in the engine, so I took the gas tank off so i could take the spark plug out (I need new spark plug) I sprayed WD-40 in the top end. So i ordered an oil change kit but I have been reading that you should change the oil more then once if there is water in the engine. I got some 10w30 and 5w30 oil that i never used for my old car. Would it be alright to put that oil in it and run it for 30 seconds, or will i damage the 4-wheeler. I also am going to change the tranny oil. I there anything else I should check?

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know and thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sank a few ATVs,
Stand the ATV on end to get water out of the muffler.

Yes use some cheap oil for the first flush before buying your new Sythectic 0w-40 and filter.(Any Brands)
Drain the oil tank and crankcase. As long as you do not touch the oil ines there is no venting needed.

Flush twice with cheap oil using old filter, but spin oil filter off and dump it out each time.

The front diff and tranny has to be changed as well with Gear oil for the diff and chaincase oil for the tranny as water gets in through there vent lines.
Empty the air box it has a red drain plug below it and dry the filter. Your hub drive fluid should be good since there water tight, but why not do it anyways.

If you pull rope handle was not on tight you may need to drain the recoil as well, the recoil cover also has a drain plug.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you actually see the water in the oil? just making sure before you do the oil changes. as mentioned the cheap oil is fine to run through to get the water out if it's in the engine and oil.