Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2009 polaris xp 550 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2009 polaris xp 550 problems

I got a 2009 Polaris xp 550 with some issues. When you push the throttle the engine sputters and tries to die and the engine symbol comes on the gauge display. You can keep pushing the throttle and get it to go but every time you stop it tries to die when you push the throttle. I know these atvs have spark plug fouling problems but I checked the plug and it looked fine. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Throttle has to have 2mm play on the etc switch inside the throttle housing(may need adjusting), could be the problem plus you might as well change the plug if you have doubts,plus check the air filter. If neither one of these solves the problem and the check engine light still comes on, still runs bad, you may have to have it hooked up to Polaris Digital Wrench to trace it down. OPT

Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

I got more problems now when you start the atv there is a squealing noise coming from the clutch and it becomes extremly difficult to shift. When you finally get it to shift it starts to move any idea what might be wrong? Im thinking belt or clutch has gone bad.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Often times when there is difficulty shifting, squealing or the machine want's to move, it is most likely an alignment issue with the clutches. Check the motor mounts as well. If they have become loose or broken one that could surely cause your problem.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

The bike wants to moves when you shift it into a gear and if you push the brake the clutch starts to squeal very loudly. Is this clutch, bearing or a belt issue?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What readymixer 169 said, sounds like you probably need to have the clutch alignment looked at. Creeping and belt squealing,hard shifting are the main symptoms. The belt will usually ride on the side of clutch sheath and cause the rear clutch to turn too fast to be able to shift properly,plus will creep.Needs to be checked out before you have to replace the belt if it glazes from heat or takes chunks out of it. OPT

Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

ok i got the clutch cover off and it is an alignment issue with the clutches. How do i get the seconday clutch and the belt off of the bike?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There is a belt removal tool that locks into the driven clutch to keep it open while you roll the belt off,but if you don't have it you have to lift the belt up at the front part of the rear(driven clutch) which opens up the clutch a little and walk the belt off as you turn the clutches. Same thing on putting it back on. Not as easy as all the other Polaris models,but can be done. Then the clutch bolt can come out and the clutch slides off. Can't remember on the shims and how many,but first look at where the belt rides on the front clutch as to where the rear clutch needs to go out or in. Plus make sure if you reuse the belt to check for any bad spots or glazing and have the belt going the same way before you took it off. Good time to blow out all the belt dust if you have an open area. OPT

Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Ok got the belt and clutch off. Where do i get shims for the clutch?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look behind the driven clutch to see if any shims are on the transmission shaft and try to match em up at a good hardware store. No shims are listed in the parts break down for the XP's like all the other Polaris clutches. You can also measure the diameter of the opening at the rear of the clutch for size needed. If shimming out further doesn't help then you could have problems with the clutches or belt that may be causing the creeping. OPT

Quick Reply: 2009 polaris xp 550 problems