Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Help! Big boss electrical issues killing engine.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Big boss electrical issues killing engine.

I have a 94 Polaris Big Boss 6x6 400 that has developed an electrical issue thats stalling out my engine. I'll give you the symptoms so maybe you can help me diagnose the problem. Most of the issues are sporadic and don't all occur at the same time. So far i have had issues with it stalling when I push the reverse override button, stalling out when I put it in reverse without pushing the reverse override button, kill switch not working, ignition key not shutting engine off, stalling out as if there is a governor on it while riding, 6x6 button stalling out engine, and most recently having to hold the starter button in order to keep the engine running while riding it. I'm sure these problems are all related to the same issue and have already replaced the cdi box with no change in the symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Start by doing the same thing the previous poster before you is trying! Pull the tank cover and left side panel to expose the circuit board. Pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module which should stop the dying problem. Plus if the ignition switch isn't shutting of the engine make sure the black wire from the cdi is still hooked up next to the wire you will disconnect.(if switch still won't kill the atv the problem could be in the switch,or the left on and off emergency switch since you have a new cdi) It shouldn't die in reverse as you've eliminated the reverse limiter and you won't have to push the over ride button any more. Also make sure the throttle lever doesn't have any play a lot of slack(1/8" max), you can also pop the throttle cap off and make sure the etc contact points are not touching.You will have full power in reverse so be careful! Keep us posted. OPT

Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT. I have tried disconnecting the black wires before I posted this and it was still cutting out while I was riding it in forward gear. I'll give it a shot again to see if it fixes the reverse problem. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, Sorry for the delayed response. Seems the new cdi box and unplugging the rev override wire has worked because it's running great again. However in the process I think I have burned out my starter. How hard is it to replace? Secondly is there a decompression switch I can use while pull starting this thing? It's ripping the rope right out of my hand if it doesn't start on the first pull. Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

There's no decompression release,just hold the rope handle with both hands when starting this way. The starter is on the bottom of the engine held by a bracket behind the clutch cover backing plate and also by two bolts inside the stator area (after you pull the recoil cover) It's not the easiest job especially getting the bolts off the starter bracket without removing the clutch cover,clutches and backing plate.A drive clutch puller is needed for the front clutch. (it can be done without pulling clutches,but a tough job) As far as replacing the starter,easier to replace it and the starter bendix together as they are pretty cheap here.DB Electrical - Polaris OPT