Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

850 oil in airbox fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012 | 07:32 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default 850 oil in airbox fixed!

Bought the 2012 valve cover with labrith plate and gasket, $118 from cycle parts warehouse, tore mine apart and found there was a small breather tube attached to bottom of labrith plate, looked like it was just glued on and it was so close to falling into valve train , it was only stuck on by one litle corner, allowing oil to be blown past it in the 1/2 by 2 inch hole. Any way for anyone that has this problem, you dont need to buy the whole valve cover, just need a new gasket and the 2012 labrith plate inside the valve cover, it no longer as the little breather and is a solid plate, but will bolt up to the old valve cover, also adjust your valves while your in there, I did mine and the machine runs quite a bit better, must have had some tight valves at 1300 miles.

Old 08-25-2012 | 08:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This also needs to be posted in the "sticky threads" to help those with similar problems on the 850XP and there were a lot of complaints about oil in the air box from the day they were introduced.Glad you solved your problem! OPT

Old 08-25-2012 | 09:20 AM
|
Pro Rider

Took old parts to dealer, was told, Polaris knows there is a problem but wont admit to it cause they dont want a recall, dealer thanked me for showing them and said I probably showed them the fix for a couple of their "problem childs"I think thats kinda bs on polaris and the dealers, they should stand up and fix their prioblems but at least I figured it out and can maybe help others.

Old 08-25-2012 | 09:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Getting to where the only time recalls are being made if it's determined it's an imminent danger and the feds make em do it! Just like the auto industry. Seems like to me though enough oil in an air box should be considered a fire hazard! . Dealers sometimes were stuck in the middle (at least good dealers that tried to help) We were going through this with the 850s up until the time I retired in late 2010 and not a peep from Polaris and couldn't get any positive answer from any Polaris engineer or rep,but they knew and left a good bit of the monkey on our backs! Hope that they will at least offer a tech bulletin(if they haven't already done so) so the mechanics can get this solved for the customers.Bad part about it the customer will have to pay for this update!! Glad I'm retired now! OPT

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:59 AM
|
Pro Rider

Looked into this some more, found a person on the polaris forum that had a dealer that ordered him a kit, seems there is a part #2204755 for $60.84 that comes with labrith plate, gasket , hose and breather.Funny that I have talked to 3 different dealers and they didnt know about Kit, also not shown on any parts microfish that Ive seen, not on cycle parts warehouse or ronnies.Just looked again and that kit is just for the breather, not for thr labrith plate , gasket and new breather ect, so there is no kit , have to order parts seperately.

Old 08-27-2012 | 11:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Looked into this some more, found a person on the polaris forum that had a dealer that ordered him a kit, seems there is a part #2204755 for $60.84 that comes with labrith plate, gasket , hose and breather.Funny that I have talked to 3 different dealers and they didnt know about Kit, also not shown on any parts microfish that Ive seen, not on cycle parts warehouse or ronnies.Just looked again and that kit is just for the breather, not for thr labrith plate , gasket and new breather ect, so there is no kit , have to order parts seperately.
This was the latest kit I heard about from one of my guys at the old shop (#2204755) a few weeks ago,but didn't ask him about all what was involved in the kit,but like you all I saw was for the breather not the labyrinth Plate? Think they're just happy they have something that may help solve the problem. It's only taking Polaris 3 years to finally do something.... OPT