Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

scrambler 50 Starter relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler 50 Starter relay

I recently bought a 2001 Scrambler 50 for my grand kids that was not running. The battery was shot so I replaced it. But I cannot get any power to the starter or anything else including brake light. Im trying to track everything back from the battery to solve the problem. The first thing I came to was the rear brake light, the bulb is good , and I've got power to the starter relay but nothing at light. Bad Relay? I ran a hot wire to starter from battery and it turns over fine.Could the starter relay be my problem?

Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

welcome! If the brake light doesn't come on then the starter interlock switch located in the left brake handle need replacing. It controls the brake light and allows power to the starter. Item #11 for $13 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
This was a very common problem as the plastic plunger in the switch would bend or wear down and not trigger. This was a safety device to keep from starting without the brake on.I wouldn't try to bypass this particular device since children are involved! OPT

Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ordered part you suggested. I hope I can figure out how to replace it and that it fixes the problem . I will let you know. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It has a small tab that you press and you can pull the plunger switch out. It's a 5 minute swap! OPT

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

You were right it was easy to remove. The plunger was gone completely. While Im waiting for new switch if I wired the two wires together wouldn't that work the same as the plunger and complete the circuit and allow me to continue to see what Ive got?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Should work(never could try to do it myself because of legalities! ) but if it works tell the kiddos to still hold the brake lever when cranking!! OPT

Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well were back to square 1.Twisted the wires togather and nothing , no light no crank. OK professor whats my next step? Hang in there with me, us old farts got to stick together.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Didn't know if tying the wires would work, but you say you have power to the starter relay. One last trick that you can do (if you haven't already done it) is to jump the two wires from the safety tether kill switch which bypasses this switch.These switches can go out just like the brake switch and I have wired these together before(I shouldn't have If this doesn't work,wait until you have the interlock switch installed and if it still doesn't start it has to be that the starter relay module is bad and isn't transferring power to the starter. OPT

Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I'm waiting on parts. Tried the tether repair but still no luck. The plunger and everything on it appeared fine but Ill leave it wired like it is until I get new part. Thanks again for your help. I'll be back lol.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm back!! Did you think I died? LOL Electrical problem finally turned out to be the ignition switch it had a broken wire, Part is ordered. I bypassed the switch and cranked it!! Tried to start. Thought I would drain fuel in carb bowl thinking it was probably old. Nothing. ok its dry, checked tank looked fine, added fuel. still nothing. Removed carb and OMG The bottom of float bowl was full of crud. cleaned the s out of the carb did not remove any of the jets. Reinstalled and low and behold we are running!!! Thats the good news LOL
Under a load it bogs down. It idles fine and if you just tickle the throtle it will sound fine. If I get on it and give it any gas it will start to pull if I increase throttle it bogs and wants to quit, let off throtle it goes right back to a smooth idle. The repair manual shows two outside adjustments for the carb.
Pilot air screw and Idle adjustment. The idle adjstment is obvious. is the Pilot air screw the screw I can see inside a hole close to the idle screw. 2nd Question what should they be set at? 1 1/2 turns from fully closed 2 turns what? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: scrambler 50 Starter relay