Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Sportsman 500 HO overheated

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Old Polaris tech, you're the *****...

It may take a few days before I can get on that, as I have company coming today, but those steps you outlined are perfect. I will do that, for sure.

Thanks gents...

Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tested the fan, it works

and I took a look at the wiring under that panel. I did unplug and reconnect a number of connections, just to be safe. But I saw no fuses?

Anyway, I'm hesitant to go much further in there, else I might make the machine totally useless. I do use it for short 5 minute chores, when I'm sure it won't overheat again.

That's where I am, and thanks gents for hearing me rant like this...

Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The fan circuit breaker is in the sealed plastic pouch. All you have to do is use a test light or meter to see if it has power on the red wires coming from each side of the pouch . If it does,then just disconnect the fan,hook jumper wires up to see if the fan motor is ok. If the fan is ok,the circuit breaker has power through it,then the most likely thing wrong is the radiator sensor has shorted out. This is one of common things to happen on the Sportsmans other than air in the system,mud caked radiators.I replaced quite a few over the years,along with a few bad circuit breakers.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

these thermal sensors from a auto parts store will work, you just have to spice your old sensor's wire plug in connection on the end.

Napa FS147
Wells SW526
Blue Streak TS-127.

or any sensor for a 84-88 Nissan Maxama or 86-89 Nissan Stanza will work.

I,m using the Blue Streak TS-127. right now. Works fine. I have a friend using the Wells.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Wink Picking up a radiator sensor next week

Based on that info. from Old Polaris Tech and TLC, I'm picking up a new radiator sensor next week. Makes sense, the fan works, and that sensor must have just gotten old.

Thanks boys, I'll report back what happens...

But I was surprised to hear that thing will cost me $75 !#!$!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by twlamkin
Based on that info. from Old Polaris Tech and TLC, I'm picking up a new radiator sensor next week. Makes sense, the fan works, and that sensor must have just gotten old.

Thanks boys, I'll report back what happens...

But I was surprised to hear that thing will cost me $75 !#!$!
Look at the ones TLC posted about that would interchange with the oem sensor...$47 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...questid=109028 Or even cheaper ($31) if you have and Advance Auto Parts near by.http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1 Even a cheap skate like me wouldn't pay for an oem part if a substitute was available!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought and installed that new part to connect the engine temp and the fan on the radiator, but I haven't seen that fan come on yet, given this new hookup. The engine does seem to get quite hot as I run it for like 10 minutes, and I just haven't run it to overheating I guess. How long should it take for that fan to kick in?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure you purge all the air from the system after you installed the new sensor. Make take awhile to do this. Again make sure the fan circuit breaker is good or it won't allow the fan to kick on! Item#3. The radiator sensor and circuit breaker work hand in hand for the fan to operated properly. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile Let me close the chapter here

I wasn't seeing that fan come on ever, and having to disconnect the battery every night was a real pain in the aSpam wordSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam wordSpam word . The battery would get drained in an hour or so if the machine wasn't running.

So I had to bring the machine into the shop, and they replaced that module right under the handle bars, it controls electricity to the entire beast I guess. It's fixed !! ;-o

Seems that module was included in a 2008 recall so the entire job cost me nothing. And I was avoiding that drop off for the money?!

Thanks to all; have a good winter...

Todd

Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What module was replaced?? You said you had a 2002 model? If it was an ecm module you have a later model machine.Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 HO overheated