Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Sportsman 500 HO overheated

Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500

The manual says 2002 but the machine is actually a 2005.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Quite a bit of difference between a 2002 and 2005 electrically. Glad the problem's solved!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

2005 had the ECM recall the 2002 does not even have one period. They sure are different electrically .
The ECM brain box can screw up a lot of different things if it acts up.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Range Rover

my cousin actually has a similar problem with his 01(possibly 02) 500 HO and the rad had tons of air but after getting it out it still heats up

i noticed he actually has 2 wires cut off, 1 is on the bottom right corner of the rad(right as if sitting on quad) and the other is on the right side of the engine, any idea what these wires are for? i've been unable to find where they are supposed to lead too and they are cut pretty short so i'm not sure how hard it would be to replace them

the thing is actually a huge mess, the last owner did a lot of wiring on it and even rewired the fan to run constantly

Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Andy578
my cousin actually has a similar problem with his 01(possibly 02) 500 HO and the rad had tons of air but after getting it out it still heats up

i noticed he actually has 2 wires cut off, 1 is on the bottom right corner of the rad(right as if sitting on quad) and the other is on the right side of the engine, any idea what these wires are for? i've been unable to find where they are supposed to lead too and they are cut pretty short so i'm not sure how hard it would be to replace them

the thing is actually a huge mess, the last owner did a lot of wiring on it and even rewired the fan to run constantly
Fan thermal sensor wires on the bottom right of the radiator.Can be replaced cheaper with an aftermarket one.Item #21. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Duralast/Cooling Fan Switch - Radiator (SW526) | AutoZone.com
There's a sealed 10 amp circuit breaker for the fan under the front panel also. It can be corroded and not allow the fan to operate.You can get these at any auto store also. Just slice the pouch open if it doesn't have power to each side of the red wire. Plus a manual would be the best help.Here's a pdf service manual if you don't have one.http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...0%20-%20SM.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 500 HO overheated-image.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 Sportsman 500 HO Overheating

I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO and the it is over heating badley. Took to polaris dealership and they just made the fan run all the time but no real fix. started looking around the web and found info about maybe bad water pump. I took cover off and the impeller would not move at all so i am assuming it is froze up? Any help would be great! thanks,

Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by smokey07
I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO and the it is over heating badley. Took to polaris dealership and they just made the fan run all the time but no real fix. started looking around the web and found info about maybe bad water pump. I took cover off and the impeller would not move at all so i am assuming it is froze up? Any help would be great! thanks,
id take that back to the dealership and tell them to fix it right

Old 01-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by smokey07
Took to polaris dealership and they just made the fan run all the time but no real fix.
This so called dealer shouldn't be allowed to work on people's machines if they did something like that!! Wire a fan direct.. Crank the engine over and the impeller should turn. Most of the time when the fan isn't kicking on and it over heats, it's usually because the radiator sensor that triggers the fan has shorted out.Here's one that's a lot cheaper than the dealer part even IF they had fixed it right. Cooling Engine Thermal Switch Sensor Fits Polaris 4010161 | eBay
Or you could use a Wells SW526 from a local auto dealer for about the same price and splice your connector in. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1

Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

I am having similar problems on my 2001 Sportsman 500.
Thanks for all the help so far.
What do you need to have on hand to check the impeller?
Do I need to order a gasket or anything?
I had a heck of a time getting the front cover off. I could not find any instructions in the manual.
What is the proper procedure for removing the front cover and getting it up and over the handle bars?
I am currently waiting for a new fan. I was hoping it would be here yesterday.
My present fan is working with the toggle switch the previous owner installed - but it is very noisy. Sounds like it's on it's last legs to me. I will have to see what the new fan sounds like when I get it.

How often do the temp switches that run the fan go out? I was thinking of running the fan off a relay triggered by the temp switch. That way there would be no load on the switch.

Would running the fan off a relay increase the temp switch life span?
Do you have a part number for the impeller if I need one after I check it?

I am at the website that was recommended – How do I know which Sportsman 500 I have?
Polaris 2001 ATV OEM Parts, Cycle Parts Warehouse

I got this in trade for a diesel engine I had and know nothing about it. I bought a factory service manual, factory owners manual and a Clymer’s or similar.

What are the torque specs for the bolts that hold the recoil starter on?

What is the proper torque for the banjo bolt that holds the oil line to the screen on the oil reservoir?

It looks like there should be 2 screws holding the carburetor to the frame. One is missing. Can anybody help me with a part number or size and thread pitch?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like the previous owner was too cheap to get a radiator sensor that triggers the fan on and off.This was the most common cause on the fan not kicking on and some people running them direct to power with a toggle.2000-04 Polaris Sportsman 400 500 Radiator Fan Thermal Switch Sensor - 4010161 | eBay Almost all the parts on the same no matter which model 500 you have. The different codes,(AA,AB,etc) were mainly for body colors.On the oil tank filter just use some teflon tape and tighten the line snug,no need to bust your knuckles. The carb support bracket bolt you can get at any hard ware store. 7/16" or metric plus nut,doesn't matter. If you're a stickler on torque specs,not all sections have them listed,but the general section of the manual has torque specs for different size bolts.The manual will help you in many ways.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....00-atv-service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 HO overheated