Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

polaris belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched the video. Pretty informative. Is there a way to see or tell if any of the items being replaced in the video need replacement without taking either clutch assembly off? I'm not very familiar with this area of the ATV and don't want to purchase the clutch kit(s) if not needed. They appear to be pretty expensive.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM
avf
Weekend Warrior

I think I had similar symptoms on my SP 500. I had to get a rebuilt clutch.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

I took the clutch cover off and here's what I found. As mentioned the belt was replaced about 3-4 months ago and I would say it has less that 50 hours on it from mowing & normal yard work. The belt looked brand new.

I did notice it wasn't installed so the words could be read. Is this a big problem? Should I install it as told so the words can be read?

It did look like it was sagging quite a bit but I didn't measure with a straight edge yet. I took the belt off and ran the primary clutch and it appears to be working correctly - opens as the speed is increased, etc.

On the secondary clutch I'm not sure what I could do to check it without removing it. It looks like what is shown in the video. I plan to reinstall the belt and jack up the rear and run it to see what happens. What should I be looking for???

Suggestions on what to look for and/or do next would be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The print should be on top of the belt plus the arrows point forward with the rotation.
You mean the drive cogs where on top of the belt and the smooth side was on bottom like the belt was inside out?!!

Some belts have cogs on top and bottom but the less aggressive (With the writing) top cogs are to help with air circulation.
I don,t even know if the ATV would move or atleast not very well in that case. The side walls of the belt are a v shape so upside down would be very wrong but should not hurt anything but the belt.

My 2001 EBS belt on my 500 has the smooth top.
Here is both types. smooth top and cog top.
But no matter the print is always on top.

and

Old 11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry for any confusion. The drive cogs were on the bottom. The writing was backwards if you tried to read it. Everything I read says to have the writing so it can be read. If all this meant was that the cogs are to be on the bottom- they were.

Same question. What should I see, if anything, with the secondary clutch during the test run?

Sorry but I'm a wanna be mechanic and can normally get through some repairs if I know what I'm looking for.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by headusher
Sorry for any confusion. The drive cogs were on the bottom. The writing was backwards if you tried to read it. Everything I read says to have the writing so it can be read. If all this meant was that the cogs are to be on the bottom- they were.

Same question. What should I see, if anything, with the secondary clutch during the test run?

Sorry but I'm a wanna be mechanic and can normally get through some repairs if I know what I'm looking for.
The writing on the belt is normally installed to where you can read it facing the clutches. "IF" the belt was installed with the writing backwards and has run this way,reinstall it the same way it came off!! The only purpose for the writing is so people wouldn't be confused when installing a new belt or reinstalling a used belt back on when doing repairs.The belt can actually run either way.The writing was to make it simpler when people installed a new/used belt to where they could read the writing,then they would always know which way to put it back on.The secondary clutch has a prewound spring and adjustment slots on the helix and the main sheath.All this is held on by a big circlip at the rear of the clutch. If you remove the circlip and raise the helix,the clutch will unwind! Underneath the helix and spring are three ramp buttons that the helix "ramps" up on and opens the sheaths so the belt can change "speeds" in relation to the front clutch.These buttons are wear items and usually the main problem on rear clutches. If you want to be a mechanic you first need a good service manual that explains the clutches and how to take apart and repair.See if this pdf service manual can answer some of your questions. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...0%20-%20SM.pdf