Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

camshaft and timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the front rack part number I am looking for is 1040526-067 substituted by 2871499

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can tell real quick if the other u joints have slack by just jacking up the rear tires and turn them back and forth. Any play in the u joints will show up. If loose replace them before they damage the yoke like what happened on the other side. If still tight just keep em greased and keep an eye on them. Wouldn't waste the money on "rejetting" as you say,probably you're meaning jumping up to the larger 40 mm carb and intake manifold to make it an HO. As far as the rack and extenders you might check this place out.http://www.waitemotorsports.com/p/Obsolete-Parts

Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

yes they were talking about changing the carb to the 40mm but they told me to replace the jets with bigger jets but it doesn't seem worth it... I called that place you just told me about and they said they do not have any in stock and they are not available... the rocker arm is going to be here today so I will let you know if I get it back together correctly or if I blow it up...

Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I just got the new exhaust rocker arm in the mail and when I opened it the nuts that hold what I think are the magnetic studs in place are loose, how do I know where to tighten them down and should I use blue lock tight?
thanks

Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Doesn't matter if they're tight or loose as you will have to loosen the lock nuts anyway when you adjust the clearance between the the two adjuster tips and the face of the valve stems. Read your manual on adjusting valves!!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

okay sounds good I will!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an American Manufacturing rack extender.They may have what you want. American Manufacturing - Home I didn't know who made it until after I bought it from ShadeTree Powersports. There may be cheaper places. Parts, Apparel & Accessories for Snowmobile, ATV & Motorcycles | Shade Tree Powersports

Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jumbofrank but no luck they do not carry the one I need, and OPT I got it fixed and the wheeler runs great... it started right up and I drove it around and it runs awesome... I do not know why anyone would change the carb to the 40mm... But thank you thank you thank you I am very greatfull... I did have one more question if you do not mind blessing me with your wisdom... I have put 4 radiators and fans on the wheeler because eventually the metal on the fan around the nut breaks and the fan takes out the radiator... this last time after it broke and I put the new radiator in it I took the fan and drilled three holes through it and took a washer and riveted it to the washer and then tightened the washer and fan to the motor... I first tried to just put a washer on the shaft with the fan but the shaft was not long enough so after the fan broke again I did the rivet thing. Hope the way I explained it it was not confusing..
thanks

Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you got it running! Understand about the fan motor and blade. If the blade is wallowed out and doesn't have the "D" shaped slot in it,it needs to be replaced. The hard part about the fan blade is that you have to hold the shaft with a long thin pair of vice grips or pliers to align the "D' notch on the blade with the shaft.The bushing goes on the shaft first,then the blade,loctite the shaft threads,then install the nut without moving the blade out of alignment with the shaft.If it does,the blade can vibrate,loosen the nut and fly off tearing up radiators as you've found out.I've had several people do this. Bad design that was eventually replaced with enclosed fan systems on later models. You might try to replace it with a Spal type fan if you can fit it between the steering post and frame.Might be hard to rig this up because of limited space,but worth a try if your tired of fighting this old system.Spal Electric Fans - The Fan Man http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-UNIVERSAL-SLIM-FAN-PUSH-PULL-ELECTRIC-RADIATOR-COOLING-12V-1730-CFM-/261265573258?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd4a4458a&vxp=mtr

Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

it doesn't so much wallow out the "D" part does not strip either, it cuts off around the out side of the nut... Have you ever tried to change the fan? How did it work out? I guess I was just wondering where you came up with the idea to change the fan? and thanks I do not know if the wheeler runs better than before I would have to say it should because the lobe is not wore off but I am just so pumped it is running again!!!!

Quick Reply: camshaft and timing chain