Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 500 Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 500 Scrambler

I got the fuel bugs and many others worked out, ran great, however my carelessness again left me with a non running machine. I had disconnect my winch while working on some things under the hood covering, the wire for the winch switch hit the blue/white wire tab on the coil, shorted out, stopped running. I took this from another thread:
OPT:
Good video,but he doesn't give the resistance specs on the stator or coil even though he's got the manual in front of him! The stator pulse coil wires leading to the cdi (white to white/red) should be 97 ohms + or- 20%. The stator exciter wires leading to the cdi(Blk/Red to Green) should be around 446 ohms resistance + or - 20%. The coil primary(coil tab to ground) .3 ohms. Coil secondary (coil tab to plug wire,cap removed) 6.3k ohms. If you still don't have spark after cleaning the pulse coil use a meter to check these resistance values on your 97 model. Hope cleaning the stator and pulse coil solves the

The stator pulse coil wires leading to the cdi (white to white/red) should be 97 ohms: Pass

The stator exciter wires leading to the cdi(Blk/Red to Green) should be around 446 ohms resistance: Fail

The coil primary(coil tab to ground) .3 ohms: Pass

Coil secondary (coil tab to plug wire,cap removed) 6.3k ohms: Fail

Now I did buy a new cdi unit, a Ricks... My wiring for the on my machine for the stator exciter red/red blk. On that connector on the cdi unit it has 3 prongs, 2 male 1 female. It has red/blk and red like my bike, the third is green. The Green/red combo is the only way the cdi will connect to the harness plug. Is this ok? (I got the Rick's CDI because I got a good deal. Any help would be appreciated, I know it is a long post. I think it needs a coil, however, the stator exciter to the cdi has me unsure.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Exciter wiring colors changed over the years. Whether yours is a red/black or whatever and the resistance is bad the stator needs to be replaced. Ricks and Ricky stator both have been known to swap wiring around,but try it as you mentioned and see if you have spark.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Exciter wiring colors changed over the years. Whether yours is a red/black or whatever and the resistance is bad the stator needs to be replaced. Ricks and Ricky stator both have been known to swap wiring around,but try it as you mentioned and see if you have spark.
so it is possible to fry the stator by the coil being grounded out? Do you think the coil is bad as well? I got no resistance from the plug wire to the coil. Thanks for the help

Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Anythings possible when it comes to stators. Check the coil wire for any breaks. Some models you can pull out the wire from the coil and replace it with 7mm plug wiring from a local auto store. If this one is sealed and you get no resistance reading from the wire back to the coil tab,then yes it needs replacing.