Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 330 Magnum ECM Parts/Repair Info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 330 Magnum ECM Parts/Repair Info?

I have a 2005 330 Magnum 2x4 that has had a pretty rough life (before I ever bought it). The wiring system has been stripped down to the basics to get things to run when you turn on the switch and hit the (rewired) start button. It really does run well when it's running. :-) My problem is that I've blown 2 ECM modules in that last couple of months. I believe what is causing them to blow is attempts to run things without a battery in place. (I won't try that again.) It cost about $170 to replace an ECM. When I open the ECM unit I can see one component that is obviously fried. It's a quarter-sized disk embedded in some blank goo...and it is TOTALLY fried. Is there a way to get one of these disks (for less than $170) and try some DIY repair on these things. I have some electronics repair background (but not a lot).

Old 01-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen too many machines like this. You're probably attacking this from the wrong end. If you keep blowing ecms even with a battery,just simpler to get a used harness and new ecm and solve the problem.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Magnum-330-2x4-05-Wiring-Harness-8632-/301391432779?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462c544c4b&vxp=mtr Some on the forum may know what's all needed,but most people just give in and get a new ecm.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the link to a wiring harness. I may end up there at some point. I think an ex-Polaris technician may be responsible for the current state of affairs with the wiring. The original ignition switch has been replaced with something generic, the speedometer assembly is gone, there is a manual switch for the cooling fan, there is a starter button mounted on the fender well above the battery, and the wiring harness has a number of "modifications". (I told you it had a rough life.) I'm afraid if I put a replacement wiring harness on this it will just be the beginning of a LOT of updates that I don't really want to make. All I do with this vehicle is putter around our 22 acres. I put a wood box on the back that can either carry my chainsaw/gas/oil if I'm trimming trees or the beagle if I'm running down the road to get the mail. (He enjoys the ride immensely.) I'm a retired engineer with some electronics background which is why I asked about parts for the ECM. It MIGHT be a cheap fix to replace a $5-$10 component versus the $170 unit.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by crethem
I think an ex-Polaris technician may be responsible for the current state of affairs with the wiring. The original ignition switch has been replaced with something generic, the speedometer assembly is gone, there is a manual switch for the cooling fan, there is a starter button mounted on the fender well above the battery, and the wiring harness has a number of "modificaons".
A lot of unqualified guys out there that consider themselves a mechanic.. Could be why he's an"ex"Polaris mechanic. If he's responsible for for this mess,I wouldn't even let him sweep our shop's floors.. Good luck on the project and if you find out what's needed on repairing the ecm,post it for the other fellas.. I imagine your ecm looks like the one another member posted awhile back.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris 330 Magnum ECM Parts/Repair Info?-img_20131123_103532.jpg