Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

t-bap question !

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-bap question !

on my 04.5 700 efi , i can riding along in low gear , rpms are up pretty high and when i let off throttle it wants to back fire one time from the exhaust. Codes 41 and 45 present and i read up on the pinned post about this but it didnt say nothing about backfiring and my exhaust pipe seems to way more hotter than ususal now.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

80% of efi problems are because of the thin wiring or connectors. Code 45 relates to the tbap,back firing,erratic idle are common symptoms. Hopefully replacing the harness connector and wiring with the stronger kit that's available will solve the problem. First one shown in the list. Only The Best

Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I got the tbap problem fixed but I still think it's idling high ! What's the normal idle rpm for these machines ? Right now it's idling around 1140 - 1160 range. I don't it was idling that high before I replaced the water pump seal !

Old 05-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

W/p seal replacement shouldn't have had any effect on idle itself as long as you replaced the stator in the exact position it was in previously. The tps sensor located on the throttle body controls the idle rpms. Hard to remember all idle rpm ranges for all the machines,but believe around 1080-1150 rpm range on average. Also make sure the throttle has around 1/8" slack at the lever or it can cause idle to be too high.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer

I think I put the stator back the way it was , if not would that really effect it ? If it would then I may jus pull it back apart and check it out. I didn't know it had to go back on exact same way but I did put all the wires back the way they were

Old 05-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Really no problem on the stator as there isn't a stator plate like on the 500.I was half asleep on that one.. The cover itself acts as the alignment plate with the pre drilled holes and really only one way for the stator to go so the wiring lines up in the cover properly.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Trailblazer

ok so i got to looking at my exhaust pipe where it connects to the manifold and i seen where it wasnt completly on the manifold and some of the gasket was showing on one side. i tried getting it on all the way but i cant seem to make it go on all the way , is there a trick to it or is suppose to be like that ? maybe thats why it was popping on decell ?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep that can cause it to pop back by sucking in cold air. Sounds like you need a need exhaust seal. Plus while you're at it,make sure the manifold bolts are tight. Early model 700/800s had a problem on bolts loosening up and blowing exhaust manifold gaskets also. Not so much on later models though,but possible.If you ever have to change a manifold gasket always loctite the bolts.Items 12,24.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

so whats the trick to getting it to slide all the way up on to the manifold where no gasket is showing ?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The flared out section of the exhaust pipe has to be clean,plus springs need to be tight. If this is the original asbestos exhaust "donut" it could have worn down over time and may be time to replace it and the get new springs.Exhaust pipe may not cover it completely,but it should stop any leaking or sucking air.A lot of vibration in this area and seals do wear out along with springs.

Quick Reply: t-bap question !