Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

TPS Settings.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPS Settings.

Does anyone know if the TPS settings affect the mixture..especially at idle, or when letting completely off to return to idle ?

For instance, is a TPS setting of .690 richer or leaner than .735 ? I know it just measures the position of the butterfly, but that position should be regulating the airflow in the mixture. Just don't know which direction the number reads, or if it makes a difference overall.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have the harness tester that has the regulator along with the 9 volt battery? If not I wouldn't touch any tps factory setting. To answer your question .690 is leaner,means the butterfly isn't opened as much as the .735 reading. Each machine has a base tps starting point/setting with the throttle cable loose,no throttle pull on the butterfly,adjuster screw backed off. Once base setting is verified,then you adjust the throttle screw until you get to the final setting stated in the manual.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

Thanks OPT !!! I've got the harness tester.

Here's my thing. Been chasing a high idle issue on my 08 RZR 800 for a while. Long story short, throttle body was bad. Replaced it with a 10 800 throttle body. The 10 TPS came set at .690, my 08 calls for .735. Adjusted the TPS to .735 and installed it.

The car runs fine (put about 300 miles on it) except that after it has ran for a while, it will not immediately restart. Have to wait about 5-10 minutes. Before that, it'll start for about 2 seconds, "gurggle", then shut off. Cranks fine, just won't fire back up. Engine temp seems fine (by the installed temp gauge). If it was a carb engine, I'd say it was loading up. Also, it smells rich while it's idling.

So I've been debating if I should return the TPS to the .690 as factory for the 10 model? Haven't pulled the plugs yet, to see what they look like.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it smells rich,then I'd rest it to the lower 2010 specs and see if it solves the problem. If it acts the same,may not be a tps problem,but a harness problem past the tps or t-map sensor. Any bare wire or soft feeling wire that could melt internally was a problem on atvs,Rangers and Rzrs.Some of the symptoms were hard starting,erratic idle,rich running condition. Tps and t-map harness repair kits are available from Polaris but are the same thin wiring. The t-map kit has even been updated which usually means they "supposedly" improved it.This is the harness we had the most problems with. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If you suspect the wiring past the tps or tmap,better repair kits are offered.Only The Best

Old 06-17-2015, 05:08 AM
Range Rover

I know all about the harness problems, and OTB replacement harnesses. lol. That was a lot of my "chasing" when diagnosing my idle problem. I replaced the T-map, TPS, and CPS harnesses with OTB products. I could change the idle by just wiggling the connections of all 3 sensors. I have not pulled apart the entire harness to check it, but every exposed wire and connection has been inspected and replaced if issues were found. So I hope I have eliminated those problems. I guess all the years of mud riding finally caught up with me lol.

The TPS values are a mystery to me. Like I said, my manual calls for an idle value of .735. My 08 Sportsman 800 also calls for .735, but when I did a little comparison, the Sportsman is at .711 (from the factory). I guess it could have worn a little over the years, but I thought that interesting. Also, talking with some engine builders, they have mentioned they routinely set their values at .682-.694. But those engines usually have some work done to them, and they recommended the factory settings for a stock machine. I think when I get a chance, I'm going to drop mine back to the .690 range and see what happens.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by tekrsq
I could change the idle by just wiggling the connections of all 3 sensors.
Yes found a lot like this that I could change the idle just by wiggling the wiring.. At this point sounds like all you can try is experimenting with lower base tps settings and see how it does.Plus on some machines I've had to dig even further into the harness past the pig tail ends that come with the repair kits. Frustrating I know,but keep us updated on what you find.