Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sometimes the only way to clear codes is through Digital Wrench. We've had to do that on several machines over the years. It can at least(for the most part) clear any bogus codes leaving any legitimate codes that may help in finding the main problem area.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some time this week to do some more T/S on the wheeler. I rang wires to the ECM from the sensors according to the repair manual. All wires were good. I then began ringing the sensors themselves. All were good until I got to the IAT. The manual states it should be around 2.45 ohms with tolerances between new and used. Mine reads 2945 ohms....might I be on to something? That is an extremely high resistance according to the tech data. Anyways, I put the new tires on so if I need to I can at least get it to the dealer now.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Joesn68
Anyways, I put the new tires on so if I need to I can at least get it to the dealer now.
At this point sounds like the best thing to do rather than throw more parts at it.Digital Wrench can for the most part can find what's wrong and narrow down any problem areas.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I am saddened by the passing of OPT. I have purchased a house and am able to work on

Crack completely through fuel pressure housing...😡😡

Old 01-29-2019, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I messed up the last post. Anyways, I recently purchased a house and am able to work on the wheeler. Put a pressure tester on it and was only getting 2 psi after buying a new pump and pressure regulator. I thought I possibly got a lemon pump and ordered another. Upon closer examination I found a crack that goes completely through my pressure regulator housing. For now I will attempt to weld it. Does anyone know of a source that I can get a new one without ordering a complete tank assembly?

Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. I plastic welded the pressure regulator. Put a new pump and pressure regulator in.When I turn the key on it shoots up to 401 psi. When I turn key off it drops to 25psi. While I am cranking it stays at 40-42 psi until I release the key. It acts like it wants to start on occasion but also backfires through the carb. I tried starting fluid but no luck.
I will check codes later but does anyone have any ideas??
I getting frustrated now!!!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good news. I started to put everything back together to take to the dealer. I cganged spark plugs and try it one more time. It fired up! It will idle but if I give it any throttle it dies. Suggestions???
is it me or has this site gone to **** since OPT passed?

Old 01-31-2019, 01:24 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OPT was the real expert. Now you have to depend on whoever has the time to drop in now and then. I'm watching this thread and hoping nothing happens to my '08, but I don't know enough to help you. I wish I did.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Would you want try this regulator? Its not cracked. Its not the same as yours but they do the same thing. It is off a polaris, just dont remeber which year and model. If nothing else, it could rule out the crack, even though you welded it. Pm me your address and ill send it to you if you want to try it. If your in the us and not alaska or hawaii. I cant imagine it would cost me much to ship to the lower 48.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you 94Harley. That is very kind of you to offer. I appreciate it.
The wheeler is running again!!!
I am still not sure what actually fixed it. 🤔🤔 when I can get to a computer I will list what I did and saw in case it could help someone else.